Payments News from Glenbrook Partners
Glenbrook   Book   Education   Views   Archives   Store   Advertise   About         SUBSCRIBE:

Headline News from - July 10, 2014

On the Web:

  • Learnings from the Bitcoin Workshop - (George Peabody) - "We are certainly intrigued by the capabilities of math-based currencies, but think it’s unrealistic to believe that they might quickly overtake incumbent payment systems that already work well for common use cases. We’re far more focused on identifying payments use cases that still exhibit significant points of friction that might be neatly lubricated by the application of MBC technology."
  • "State of Bitcoin Q2 2014 Report Reveals Expanding Bitcoin Economy - CoinDesk - "This State of Bitcoin Q2 report focuses on data and events in the second quarter of 2014 through to the present day."
  • U.S. Companies Step Up Business Conducted in Yuan - Wall St. Journal - "The yuan is making inroads with U.S. firms now because it is becoming more cost-efficient to pay in the currency. American importers can often negotiate better prices with Chinese suppliers if they agree to use yuan to make a purchase."
  • Safaricom opens M-Pesa to its rivals - Mobile World Live - "Other operators are being granted access for the first time to the all-powerful network of agents that underpin the dominance of mobile money service M-Pesa, according to Business Daily."
  • Button Wants To Bring Loyalty Rewards To The On-Demand Economy - TechCrunch - "With that funding, the team hopes to bring new cloud-based tools to mobile app makers that reward users for engaging in apps that they’re already using."
  • How Prepared is Restaurant Industry for end of Swipe & Sign? - Hospitality Technology - "EMV preparedness is on restaurants’ radar, with 70% of those surveyed agreeing that it is important to have a well-defined roadmap for EMV preparedness. When asked about their organization’s current approach to preparing, however, just 26% report having some form of road-map in place; likely due to the lack of a standard."
  • If you don’t have a bank account, how do you manage your money? - Boston Globe (Evan Horowitz) - "The most basic thing to keep in mind is that while these alternative financial services are regulated, they are not subject to the same regulations as banks are."
  • How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 1 - Zenpayroll Engineering Blog - "I remember when we first started building ZenPayroll, we spent a many weeks struggling to understand how the ACH system works and learning how we can write software to tap into it."
  • How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 2 - Zenpayroll Engineering Blog - "About 95% of the time, things go exactly as planned. This post will explain the other 5% cases (called ACH returns) and how they are handled."
  • How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 3 - Zenpayroll Engineering Blog - "Parts 1, 2, and 3 of this series should give a pretty good overview of the ACH protocol at a high level, although for the sake of clarity, much has been simplified in these posts. There are tons more details and nuances that make ACH payments a very interesting problem."
  • Google Ventures launches $100 mln fund to invest in Europe - Reuters PE Hub - "We believe Europe’s startup scene has enormous potential. We’ve seen compelling new companies emerge from places like London, Paris, Berlin, the Nordic region and beyond—SoundCloud, Spotify, Supercell and many others."
  • IBM Wants to Invent the Chips of the Future, Not Make Them - New York Times Bits Blog (Steve Lohr) - "IBM’s research agenda is a recognition that the end of the silicon era of computing, using complementary metal-oxide semiconductor technology, or CMOS, is finally on the horizon."
  • Marc Andreesen and Jim Barksdale on How to Make Money - HBR Idealist - "The tech luminaries on bundling and unbundling in the digital age."

On the Wires:

Updates from Glenbrook:

Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here:!

Add your comment... (note that all comments are reviewed before they're published)

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.