On the Web:
- Learnings from the Bitcoin Workshop - PaymentsViews.com (George Peabody) - "We are certainly intrigued by the capabilities of math-based currencies, but think it’s unrealistic to believe that they might quickly overtake incumbent payment systems that already work well for common use cases. We’re far more focused on identifying payments use cases that still exhibit significant points of friction that might be neatly lubricated by the application of MBC technology."
- "State of Bitcoin Q2 2014 Report Reveals Expanding Bitcoin Economy - CoinDesk - "This State of Bitcoin Q2 report focuses on data and events in the second quarter of 2014 through to the present day."
- U.S. Companies Step Up Business Conducted in Yuan - Wall St. Journal - "The yuan is making inroads with U.S. firms now because it is becoming more cost-efficient to pay in the currency. American importers can often negotiate better prices with Chinese suppliers if they agree to use yuan to make a purchase."
- Safaricom opens M-Pesa to its rivals - Mobile World Live - "Other operators are being granted access for the first time to the all-powerful network of agents that underpin the dominance of mobile money service M-Pesa, according to Business Daily."
- Button Wants To Bring Loyalty Rewards To The On-Demand Economy - TechCrunch - "With that funding, the team hopes to bring new cloud-based tools to mobile app makers that reward users for engaging in apps that they’re already using."
- How Prepared is Restaurant Industry for end of Swipe & Sign? - Hospitality Technology - "EMV preparedness is on restaurants’ radar, with 70% of those surveyed agreeing that it is important to have a well-defined roadmap for EMV preparedness. When asked about their organization’s current approach to preparing, however, just 26% report having some form of road-map in place; likely due to the lack of a standard."
- If you don’t have a bank account, how do you manage your money? - Boston Globe (Evan Horowitz) - "The most basic thing to keep in mind is that while these alternative financial services are regulated, they are not subject to the same regulations as banks are."
- How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 1 - Zenpayroll Engineering Blog - "I remember when we first started building ZenPayroll, we spent a many weeks struggling to understand how the ACH system works and learning how we can write software to tap into it."
- How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 2 - Zenpayroll Engineering Blog - "About 95% of the time, things go exactly as planned. This post will explain the other 5% cases (called ACH returns) and how they are handled."
- How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 3 - Zenpayroll Engineering Blog - "Parts 1, 2, and 3 of this series should give a pretty good overview of the ACH protocol at a high level, although for the sake of clarity, much has been simplified in these posts. There are tons more details and nuances that make ACH payments a very interesting problem."
- Google Ventures launches $100 mln fund to invest in Europe - Reuters PE Hub - "We believe Europe’s startup scene has enormous potential. We’ve seen compelling new companies emerge from places like London, Paris, Berlin, the Nordic region and beyond—SoundCloud, Spotify, Supercell and many others."
- IBM Wants to Invent the Chips of the Future, Not Make Them - New York Times Bits Blog (Steve Lohr) - "IBM’s research agenda is a recognition that the end of the silicon era of computing, using complementary metal-oxide semiconductor technology, or CMOS, is finally on the horizon."
- Marc Andreesen and Jim Barksdale on How to Make Money - HBR Idealist - "The tech luminaries on bundling and unbundling in the digital age."
On the Wires:
- SecureKey and Oberthur Technologies to Collaborate on GSMA Mobile Connect-Based Solutions - “Working jointly with our partner OT, we’re moving the identity industry away from a world where everyone issues IDs to one where everyone accepts secure IDs that users have chosen from trusted third parties,” said Robert Blumenthal, EVP Business Development, SecureKey.
- MasterCard Partners with Women 2.0 to Increase Entrepreneurship, Careers in Technology - “Studies show that gender diversity is important for all companies, increasing performance, productivity, and innovation,” says Andrea Soto, vice president, MasterCard. “By aligning with Women 2.0, we can help bring together both women who are working in the technology field and those who aspire to careers in technology, and foster the support system and networks that will help position them for long-term success.”
- ChannelNet and Fiserv Partner to Expand Borrowers’ Online Self-service Ability to Managing Delinquencies - "ChannelNet, in partnership with Fiserv Inc., has launched unique functionality that gives borrowers facing hardship the power to restructure their own installment loan or mortgage payment. This first-to-market feature is only one aspect of the newly enriched LoanLink™ offering from Fiserv."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews