On the Web:
- Credit-Card Lenders Pursue Riskier Borrowers - Wall St. Journal - "Banks and other lenders issued 3.7 million credit cards to so-called subprime borrowers during the first quarter..."
- The Hidden Costs of Cash - HBR Blog Network (Bhaskar Chakravorti) - "My colleague Benjamin Mazzotta and I have been studying the costs of cash across a wide range of countries: U.S., Mexico, Egypt and India. With the exception of the U.S., these other countries represent economies primarily conducted in cash."
- Circle Internet Financial’s Jeremy Allaire Talks Up Some Bitcoin - Re/code.net (Kara Swisher) - "Recently, I had longtime tech entrepreneur Jeremy Allaire for a visit at Re/code Global HQ to talk about his latest startup, Circle Internet Financial."
- Coinbase Working with Intuit’s QuickBooks to Offer Bitcoin Payments to Small Business - Coinbase Blog - "Starting today, Coinbase and QuickBooks Online are collaborating to offer PayByCoin, a new service from Intuit that will enable small businesses to accept bitcoin payments."
- Intuit PayByCoin - Intuit Labs - "QuickBooks Online has become the first cloud accounting solution to enable small businesses to accept Bitcoin payments."
- Western Union Open to Bitcoin ‘If Regulated as Currency’ - CoinDesk - "Western Union CEO Hikmet Ersek has said his company is open to the idea of using bitcoin, but only once the digital currency is fully regulated."
- OECD Paper: The Bitcoin Question Currency versus Trust-less Transfer Technology - OECD - "The technology associated with crypto-currencies, on the other hand, could ultimately shift the entire basis of trust involved in any financial transaction. It is an innovation that creates the ability to carry out transactions without the need for a trusted third party; i.e. a move towards trust-less transactions."
On the Wires:
- Higher One Adds Chinese Currency to International Payments Service - "Higher One, a leader in providing financial services and data analytics to more than 1,900 colleges and universities nationally, announces the addition of the Chinese yuan to its international payments service, which is powered by Higher One’s partnership with Western Union Business Solutions."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews