On the Web:
- Leveraging Fingerprint Authentication on Mobile Devices: Apple’s Touch Id Api & More - Nok Nok Labs Blog - "At Nok Nok Labs, our developers wasted no time in testing and integrating our Multifactor Authentication Client (MFAC) with the Touch ID API. It took us 2 days to plug in Touch ID to our client, meaning any existing application integrated with our iOS client will be able to start using this feature immediately when it’s released."
- Kosta Peric's Mission to Reach the Unreachable - Ripple Blog - "Today, Peric forges forward with that very mission, now a deputy director for the Financial Services for the Poor at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, a role that takes him to underserved regions around the world like Africa and Southeast Asia where his expertise and experience is most urgently needed."
- Suze Orman’s Approved Prepaid Debit Cards Are Quietly Discontinued - New York Times - "Suze Orman is quietly getting out of the payments business. Starting July 1, Ms. Orman’s Approved card, a prepaid debit card aimed at budget-challenged consumers, will no longer work..."
- The Gilded Age of Free Online Shipping: Enjoy It While It Lasts - Wall St. Journal - "The big shipping companies are now pushing back against the worst excesses of this, with FedEx announcing in May that it will begin charging its shipments based on both size and weight."
On the Wires:
- First Data Introduces InsighticsSM Solution for Small Business - "Insightics is an innovative, cloud-based software that unlocks the power of big data behind payment transactions to give SMB merchants the ability to monitor key business metrics affecting their business, better understand customers to engage effectively, and derive more value from marketing and loyalty programs to grow revenue."
- VeriFone Expands Way2ride Mobile App to Philadelphia Taxis - "Way2ride makes the taxi experience faster and easier for passengers in Philadelphia by enabling them to tap and pay for cab fares in 1,400 of the 1,600 taxi cabs currently operating in the city."
- Umpqua Bank to Convert to FIS Core to Enhance Customer Experience - “Umpqua is focused on offering the sophisticated products and services of a large bank, delivered with the personal service, integrity and engagement of a community bank, and the innovative customer experience of a leading retailer,” said Sonny Sonnenstein, EVP, CIO, Umpqua Bank. “Partnering with FIS allows us to continue to offer our customers a compelling banking experience while positioning ourselves for future growth.”
- NFC Forum and Bluetooth SIG Expand Developer's Guide to Include Bluetooth® Smart Technology - "NFC and Bluetooth are complementary wireless technologies that can be designed to work in concert in a variety of use cases. For example, manufacturers have the flexibility to use NFC technology in conjunction with SSP by supporting both negotiated and static handover between Bluetooth devices, such as wireless headsets, personal health devices, smartphones, cars, and TVs."
- SimplyTapp Adds Mohammad Khan to Its Board of Directors - "I have always believed that mobile will be the next major media for payments and enhanced shopping experience. I see host card emulation technology to help achieve this goal easier and faster," says Mohammad Khan
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews