On the Web:
- Let your shoppers speed through checkout on iOS apps with Google Wallet Instant Buy - Google Commerce Blog - "iOS developers in the U.S. can now sign up to integrate the Instant Buy API and bring a fast and easy checkout experience across iOS, Android and web."
- Bitcoin for the poor - Economist - "THE affluent Midrand area of Johannesburg is about to make history. By the end of June a local company, ZABitcoinATM, hopes to install Africa’s first Bitcoin ATM."
- Expedia Starts Accepting Bitcoin for Hotel Bookings - Wall St. Journal - “We want to start at a reasonable, small place and see if it will be feasible to expand it to other parts of the business."
- Expedia.com Partners with Coinbase for Hotel Payments via Bitcoin - Coinbase Blog - "During the hotel check-out experience on Expedia.com, customers can now select bitcoin as a payment option."
- Target Hires an Outsider as Its Data Watchdog - New York Times - "Brad Maiorino, formerly in charge of global information security at General Motors, will join Target on Monday to strengthen its protection against security threats..."
- Kenya: Qatar Airways to Accept Ticket Payment Via M-Pesa - All Africa - "Qatar Airways, has entered into a strategic partnership with, Safaricom, to launch a service that now enables customers to pay for Qatar Airways tickets using M-PESA."
- With iOS 8, Apple Stands Ready To Ramp Up Consumer Purchasing Power - TechCrunch - "A few of the new features in iOS 8 make it much easier to shop on and with your iPhone..."
On the Wires:
- U.S. NFC Mobile Technology Adoption to be Spurred by the 'Big Three': HCE, BLE and EMV - "Mobile NFC technology is in the running for widespread U.S. adoption for both non-payment and payment applications, with technologies and architectures like HCE, BLE and EMV complementing and propelling the technology forward, attendees learned at the 2014 NFC Solutions Summit."
- First Data Releases May 2014 SpendTrend® Analysis - “A number of factors, including normalized weather, pent-up demand, falling unemployment and rising home prices supported consumers’ willingness to spend in May,” said Krish Mantripragada, SVP, Information and Analytics Solutions, First Data. “Credit card spending growth continued to be strong and led all other payment types."
- Payers on the InstaMed Network Transform the Consumer Payment Process with the InstaMed Premium Payments Solution - “Millions of consumers are choosing their health plans through public and private exchanges. However, consumers, especially new participants, are confused and frustrated by the process of managing their healthcare finances. As a result, they frequently do not pay their premiums on time or at all,” said Chris Seib, CTO and Co-Founder of InstaMed.
- Consult Hyperion and the GSMA Publish Report Contrasting HCE and SIM Secure Element Approaches to NFC Payments - “This paper provides a balanced analysis for financial institutions of HCE as an alternative proposition for NFC payments, alongside the existing SIM approach,” said Alex Sinclair, Chief Technology Officer, GSMA.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews