On the Web:
- Bitpay Is Raising $30M At A $160M Valuation From Index, Richard Branson - TechCrunch - "It’s yet another sign that the Bitcoin ecosystem is maturing with big chunks of funding coming from top-tier venture firms."
- JPMorgan is poaching talent from Silicon Valley - Quartz - "This new crop of JPMorgan execs comes with résumés touting senior positions at tech hubs such as Google and Yahoo, or compute science degrees, rather than traditional banking credentials."
- Cell Phones Could Connect Consumers to Financial Services in Brazil - Wall St. Journal Digits Blog - "If you don’t have a bank account in Brazil, a not-so-smart cell phone may soon be your first point of entry into the global financial system."
- Chase Rolls Out Mobile Dashboard for Merchants - Bank Systems & Technology - "The service provides merchants that are using an iPad with a snapshot of their payment account activity on the go."
On the Wires:
- Citi Is First To Offer Banking Customers The Option To Use Rewards Points For Online Bill Payments - "We want our members to have the choice of using their points when and how they want," said Mary Hines Droesch, Head of ThankYou Rewards at Citi. "Whether you want to pay this month's cell phone or utility bill due next week, ThankYou Rewards lets you decide how you use your points."
- Boku Signs Global Mobile Payments Partnership with Deutsche Telekom Group - “Strategic partnerships with key carrier groups are what will drive the entire mobile payments industry forward,” said James Patmore, Managing Director of EMEA for Boku. “As Boku continues to bring on large merchants with more sophisticated requirements, it requires a deeper level of coordination with the large carrier groups to offer a solution that can deliver across multiple markets and via multiple carriers. This deal is a key milestone in the continuing journey of making mobile payments an established payment system that is accessible to billions of consumers around the world.”
- Zipmark Deposit(TM) Enables Businesses to Payout to Many Recipients at Once - "Zipmark Deposit™ is a unique payments service that allows businesses of any size to send an unlimited number of secure digital check payments at one time."
- Ebates.com Announces Free New iPad App for Cash Back Shopping - “We are delighted to give our members and iPad users worldwide a terrific new way to save money on everything they buy from their device,” said Kevin H. Johnson, CEO of Ebates, Inc.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews