On the Web:
- Target Replaces CEO Steinhafel Following Massive Holiday Breach - Wall St. Journal - "The embarrassing computer attack and weak sales at a critical time shined a harsher light on other stumbles under Mr. Steinhafel's six years as CEO..."
- Tweet to Buy: How Amazon and Twitter’s Social Shopping Cart Works - Wall St. Journal - "If you spot an Amazon product link on Twitter, you can now add it to your shopping cart just by responding to the tweet with the hashtag #AmazonCart."
- Google Wallet Is Coming To Glass - TechCrunch - "Google is currently testing a way for Glass users to send money to their friends through Wallet by simply using their voices to ask Glass to “send money.”"
- Bitcoin and Bankers: Reflections on a Panel Discussion - Richard Gendal Brown - "In what way is Bitcoin different to what went before? Why do cryptocurrencies cause such intense discussion? Why do sensible people get so excited by this stuff? Where might it be going?"
- Fidor Becomes First Bank to Use Ripple Payment Protocol - CoinDesk - "Fidor has become the first bank to integrate Ripple’s payment protocol, allowing its customers to instantly send money in any currency in any amount through the bank’s money transfer products at a lower cost."
- Shopify CPO: Next 5 Years Will Be More Exciting for Retail Than Previous 150 - StreetFight - "I believe that the next five years is going to be the most exciting five years of retail of the last 150 years. While we haven’t seen a meaningful adoption of this omni channel commerce that we all talk about, we’re starting glimpses here and there."
On the Wires:
- Statement from Target’s Board of Directors - “Today we are announcing that, after extensive discussions, the board and Gregg Steinhafel have decided that now is the right time for new leadership at Target. Effective immediately, Gregg will step down from his positions as Chairman of the Target board of directors, president and CEO. John Mulligan, Target’s chief financial officer, has been appointed as interim president and chief executive officer."
- Prosper Marketplace Announces $70 Million Investment Round Led by Francisco Partners - “We are thrilled to welcome Francisco Partners, IVP, and Phenomen Ventures as equity investors in Prosper Marketplace,” said Aaron Vermut, CEO, Prosper Marketplace.
- TSYS Announces Executive Transition - "TSYS today announced the retirement of James B. Lipham as Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer effective June 30, 2014, and the appointment by the TSYS Board of Directors of Paul M. Todd as Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer effective July 1, 2014."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews