On the Web:
- Coinbase Introducing Payment Pages with Nas, Marc Andreessen, and Code.org - Coinbase Blog - "Payment Pages give you a personal address to share with your friends and family to receive payments or donations via Coinbase."
- Datalogix Raises $45 Million Series C To Pipe Offline Purchase Data To Facebook And Twitter - TechCrunch - "Datalogix can help companies both target the right customers for specific products, and measure if those ads actually influenced their buying patterns."
- Square’s Found a Way to Beat Banks at the Loan Business - Wired.com - "It’s that same machine intelligence Square is leveraging to advance capital through Square Capital, in amounts up to the tens of thousands so far, for a total of tens of millions."
- We're no threat, Facebook tells big banks - Sydney Morning Herald - "At the end of the day, no matter what we do, we are going to be underpinned and backed by the banking system," Mr Hiltz said...
- How Wal-Mart and Google could steal young customers from traditional banks - Washington Post Wonkblog - "These upstarts are gaining footing in the banking world with prepaid debit cards that customers can use to pay bills, make purchases and deposit checks via a smartphone camera -- pretty much all the things you can do with your traditional checking account."
- Meet Cover, the app that’s determined to reinvent the restaurant experience - Washington Post - "You walk into a restaurant, you sit down and eat and you leave. ... That to us is really what the payment experience should be like..."
- How Did Stripe Earn So Much Nerd Cred Doing Payments? - "With an enviable fanbase of engineers and blog readers, Stripe has mastered the relationship between person and API--even without a sexy end-user product."
On the Wires:
- Square Eases the Complicated Process of Getting Capital to Growing Businesses - "Square can offer capital to a wide array of young companies with high-growth potential — something that many financial institutions do not do. Square’s data enables a holistic and real-time understanding of a business’ sales history, growth, cash flow, and financial needs."
- Datalogix Closes $45 Million Financing to Support Growth in Data-Driven Marketing - "Data, technology and analytics are transforming marketing," said Datalogix CEO Eric Roza. "We see a growing opportunity to enhance marketing by tightening the connection between media exposures and consumer product purchases, and this funding will be put to good use in building the dialog between brands and their best customers and prospects."
- FreshBooks and Fundbox Take Outstanding Invoices and Put Money in the Bank - "FreshBooks users can obtain short-term financing from Fundbox based on outstanding invoices, increasing cash flow flexibility within their business."
- Allied Wallet Becomes Licensed MasterCard Issuer - "llied Wallet, a globally leading provider of online payment processing, multi-currency merchant services, and a PCI Level 1 secured payment gateway, was recently granted the privilege to issue MasterCard and Maestro cards in various regions of Europe."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews