On the Web:
- Why Intuit Paid a Big Premium for Check - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - “The phone is going to be your wallet, and we want to be one of the big companies to emerge out of it,” he said. “We have a big ambition to be the wallet of the future.”
- A Brief Overview of iBeacon Technology that could also be used in Future Home Automation - Patently Apple - "A few years ago, it might have felt like the stuff of science fiction, but beacon technology built on BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) communications has the potential to change the way we shop and live."
- The Sharing Economy Comes To The Financial Services Industry - Ngenuity Journal (Billy Robins - PayNearMe) - "Welcome to the age of the Sharing Economy, where people collectively participate in the process of creation, distribution, sale and consumption of goods and services offered by other individuals and companies."
On the Wires:
- Intuit to Acquire Check - "Intuit Inc. today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to purchase Check, a Palo Alto, Calif.-based leader in mobile bill pay that serves 10 million registered users."
- Punjab Social Security Program Designed to Bring Financial Inclusion to Millions - "Financial inclusion in Pakistan got a boost today with the announcement that MasterCard and the Bank of Punjab have launched a Social Security Program to automate and streamline government disbursement, subsidy and assistance programs. This first-of-its-kind initiative is aimed at driving financial inclusion specifically in Punjab – the largest province in Pakistan."
- TSYS Extends Payments Agreement with Canadian Tire - “TSYS has been a great partner through the years, working closely with us to understand our needs as we continue to grow and expand our payments programs,” said Bonnie Agosthino, vice president, CTC and CTFS Delivery for Canadian Tire.
- iPayment Partners with VeriFone to Bring Next Generation POS to Main Street Merchants - "iPayment POS is designed for the more than 150,000 small business merchants iPayment currently serves directly, through independent sales organizations (ISOs) and other multiple direct distribution channels throughout the U.S."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews