On the Web:
- Back from the Future: Bitcoin2014 Musings - PaymentsViews.com (Erin McCune) - "It’s by far the most exciting thing I’ve encountered in my career, but it is going to take a long time."
- The pre-play vulnerability in Chip and PIN - Light Blue Touchpaper - "Our new paper shows that it is possible to create clone chip cards which normal bank procedures will not be able to distinguish from the real card."
- Here’s how Apple will attack mobile payments with the iPhone 6 and beyond - BGR - Morgan Stanley notes that “recent news on partnerships, potential licenses, and patent filings suggest NFC could be reaching that inflection point..."
- Why NFC Could Soon Become The Real Deal - N>genuity Journal (Charles Keenan) - "Financial institutions suddenly find themselves in a race to develop mobile apps that use near-field communication (NFC), a payment method that until recently has been plagued by false starts and difficult economics."
- Visa, MasterCard Weigh Russia Exit as Ukraine Vote Looms - Bloomberg BusinessWeek - “What happens to them will be a signal of what’s ahead,” Pomeranz said. “If Visa and MasterCard can’t work there, who is going to be able to work in Russia?”
- Walmart builds e-receipts platform for better mobile in-store experiences - Mobile Commerce Daily - “We want be the leader at the intersection of digital and physical,” said Wendy Bergh, vice president of mobile and digital strategy at WalmartGlobal Ecommerce, San Bruno, CA.
On the Wires:
- InComm Launches Platform for Mobile Wallet Providers - "The InComm Mobile Platform acts as the hub for all inbound and outbound messaging requests related to the prepaid products in a mobile wallet."
- The FIDO Alliance Welcomes Visa to the Board of Directors - "Strong authentication is vitally important as the future of payments becomes increasingly mobile and digital," said Mark Nelsen, head of risk products and business intelligence, Visa Inc.
- Entersekt Issued US Patent for Advanced Mobile Authentication Solution - "The patent for invention 8,707,029 covers Entersekt’s unique consumer authentication system, a means of validating online users and their actions through their mobile devices."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews