On the Web:
- The Marathonic Dawn of Web Payments - Manu Sporny - "The first ever W3C Web Payments Workshop happened two weeks ago. It was a success."
- Welcome Susan Athey to Ripple Labs - Ripple Labs Blog - "Ripple Labs is proud to welcome noted economist Susan Athey to its Board of Directors. Athey, who was previously an advisor to the company, is Professor of Economics at Stanford Graduate School of Business."
- Why you should care about Bitcoin: digital currency is here to stay - Guardian - “This is forcing a new conversation about the nature of money,” says David Wolman, author of the 2012 book, The End of Money.
- Bank of America to Pay $800 Million Over Credit-Card Practices - Wall St. Journal - "The agreement, expected to be announced Wednesday, would settle allegations brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency."
- A Sale or IPO or More Funding? Here’s What Might Be Next for Square. - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - "The most-asked question, of course, is whether Square is for sale or not. And that answer depends on what you mean by for sale."
- Payment apps headed toward shakeout as merchant offerings multiply - Mobile Commerce Daily - "However, Isis and Google Wallet have failed to gain much steam, in part because of challenges related to gaining the kind of cooperation across multiple organizations required for such an endeavor."
- Bob Diamond And Ashish J. Thakkar To Acquire Bank In Rwanda - Forbes.com -"Diamond and Thakkar will acquire a 77% stake in the bank for an undisclosed sum through Atlas Mara Co-Nvest, a $325 million London-listed entity which is seeking out investment opportunities in Africa’s financial sector."
On the Wires:
- Explainer: Compensating consumers for Bank of America’s illegal tactics for credit card add-on products - Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - "Today we’re fining Bank of America, N.A. and FIA Card Services, N.A. for unfairly billing consumers for services relating to identity theft protection “add-on” products and for using deceptive marketing and sales practices for credit protection “add-on” products."
- The Nilson Report: ChinaUnion Pay Debit Cards Most Popular Payment Method in 2013 - "The most popular payment method based on purchase volume were UnionPay debit cards..."
- Sequent Digital Issuance Platform Approved by Visa - "A key to our competitive advantage is our capability to merge the innovation of the Sequent platform with the most stringent security requirements of the banking industry." added Robb Duffield, CEO of Sequent.
- VeriFone Blends Consumer Electronics Style Design and Unparalleled Connectivity in Revolutionary Portable Payment Terminal - "VeriFone Systems announced today the VX 690—its first handheld EMV-capable payment terminal featuring Bluetooth, 3G radio and Wi-Fi connectivity for fast transactions and flexible payment capabilities."
- Fiserv Launches Enhanced Electronic Payments Fraud Prevention and Sanctions Screening Solutions - “These new electronic payment fraud prevention solutions provide an end-to-end method to effectively model, detect, intercept, investigate and resolve attempts to steal funds from customer accounts through electronic payments such as ACH, SEPA and wire,” said Tom Tobin, vice president and general manager, Financial Crime Risk Management, Fiserv.
- VeriFone POS Software Platform Now Offered by 100 ISOs and Acquirers - "The rapid expansion in the number of partners offering GlobalBay Merchant is due to increasing competition from merchant-direct mPOS solutions, which do not come with the expertise and support demanded by merchants,” said Shan Ethridge, vice president and general manager, North America Financial Services Group, VeriFone.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Meet the Glenbrook Team on Thursday, April 17 in Menlo Park, CA - Click here to RSVP
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Data in Payments, April 22 in Mountain View, CA; Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews