On the Web:
- The Problem with Payments - Stratechery (Ben Thompson) - "This is why I, for the foreseeable future, expect to see little if any progress in the United States."
- How bitcoin is moving money in Africa - USA Today - "The key characteristics of this digital cash also happen to make it a great fit for people who aren't so down with advanced digital technology: the 326 million Africans who lack access to basic banking services."
- Walmart, ACH and the Elusive P2P Solution - PaymentsViews.com (Elizabeth McQuerry) - "The Walmart-2-Walmart service is a step forward but it’s not a perfect solution. Walmart certainly has plenty of stores in the U.S. but now it’s just another of the growing number of financial networks that is, effectively, just another island nation to itself."
- Yelp Can Now Show if a Business Accepts Bitcoin - NewsBTC - "It’s unclear just when Yelp added this feature in, but they’ve certainly done so quietly."
- VC Investment in European Fintech Hits Post-Dot-Com High - "Payment companies and big data companies have become a hot spot for venture capitalists, according to several investors."
- Northwest’s cheap power drawing bitcoin miners - The Spokesman Review - “I am only personally aware of two bitcoin mining firms locating in Grant County,” Boss said. “But I’ve been told that at least five others are in the process of locating in the area.”
On the Wires:
- MoneyGram Announces Agreement with PicomoPay - "PicomoPay is a social and mobile payments platform integrated within Facebook. Its primary business is to allow consumers to conduct person-to-person payments funded by their PicomoPay Digital Wallet, and to buy and send virtual gift cards on Facebook."
- U.S. Bank Customers Can Now Send Money Instantly to Friends and Family Online or via Mobile Device - "Now, customers can send money instantly to friends, family and service providers who bank at participating financial institutions. Instant receipt of funds depends on network availability and, for financial institutions that do not offer the Popmoney personal payments service, depends on the funds availability policy of the financial institution."
- U.S. Bank Adds Real-Time Person-to-Person Payments via Fiserv - "U.S. Bank is the first large bank in the country to offer real-time P2P payments online and through mobile devices using the Popmoney® Instant Payments feature."
- Heartland Now Offering U.S. Customers Innovative, Cloud-Based Paperless Invoicing and Payment Solution under Reseller Agreement with VersaPay - "Under a reseller agreement between Heartland and VersaPay Corporation’s U.S. subsidiary, Heartland is providing U.S. small and mid-size businesses with the capability to transform their manual invoicing operations into an efficient electronic system that delivers invoices online in a secure merchant-branded portal and provides their customers with the option to pay using credit or debit cards."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews