On the Web:
- The World’s First Bitcoin Debit Card Is Almost Here - Wired - "Xapo, a company that offers online bitcoin wallets, says it’s two months away from introducing the first debit card that will let you spend your bitcoins at any place that takes Visa or MasterCard."
- The Era of Decentralized Computing - Schlaf's Notes - "In the coming months and year, I plan to spend a fair amount of my time diving deeper into decentralized technologies, the numerous whitespace opportunities and the existing industries that will likely fall victim to their diffusion."
- Bitcoin’s Promise Goes Far Beyond Payments - HBR Blog Network (Tiffany Wan and Max Hoblitzell) - "In the next decade, we can expect significant innovation around the Bitcoin network. Much of that will revolve around payments, particularly early on. The real value, though, lies beyond."
- How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 1 - "Part of the reason it was so hard to comprehend is that much of the documentation explaining the ACH system is targeted towards bankers, not software developers. To guide and encourage the next creators of modern financial software, this article will explain how ACH works from the software developer’s perspective."
- ShopKeep Raises $25M to Help Smaller Stores Deliver Customer Service Like Apple - Wall St. Journal - "The ShopKeepPOS – a combination of hardware and cloud-based software – is used by more than 10,000 storefronts in the U.S. today."
- Shopkeep Raises $25M to Build a Better Cash Register for Indie Retail - StreetFight - "By building software which runs remotely, rather than on a servers located in a store, these startups can dramatically reduce costs, opening up new markets and erasing much of the maintenance and service fees that drive a large portion of legacy firms’ revenue."
- Facebook, Google, Intel, Microsoft, NetApp, Qualcomm, VMware And The Linux Foundation Form New Initiative To Prevent The Next Heartbleed - TechCrunch - "Unsurprisingly, the OpenSSL project will be the first to receive fellowship funding from the initiative. The idea behind the fellowships is to allow key developers to work on these projects full-time."
- Remote Control for Your Credit Card Protects You From Theft - Wired - "n Thursday, OnDot Systems — a San Jose, California-based startup that’s been in stealth mode since it was founded in 2011 — unveiled an app that acts as a kind of “remote control” for your credit, debit, and prepaid cards."
- Neustar Customer Intelligence Helps a Retailer Break New Ground - Neustar Insights - "Available on Neustar PlatformOne, Neustar’s centralized marketing solution, Neustar Customer Intelligence helps companies segment their best-performing customers, prospects and regions."
- Adyen Global Payments Index Shows Transactions Creeping Up On Android Tablets - TechCrunch - "Overall mobile payments volume continued to track upwards during the quarter. Adyen said 70% of its merchants worldwide are seeing payments traffic originating from the mobile web."
On the Wires:
- Announcing the Xapo Debit Card - "In the spirit of bringing bitcoin to the masses, we are proud to announce the Xapo Debit Card – the first bitcoin debit card that allows users to spend bitcoins just like cash all over the world, right from their Xapo Wallet."
- 2Checkout Attracts $60 Million in Growth Capital - “2Checkout already has a global customer footprint and a solid brand reputation among merchant banks, payment networks, online retailers and partners like Brink’s, which is a multi-billion dollar company,” added Don Dixon, managing director at Trident Capital. “No other payments processor can make those claims.”
- Digital River Appoints Marco Vergani as General Manager and Vice President of EMEA - "Vergani joins Digital River from IBM, where he built a 25-year career developing and managing pan-European sales operations."
- U.S. Bank 2014 Small Business Survey Shows for the First Time in Five Years a Majority of Owners Are Optimistic about the Economy - "For the first time in five years, a majority of small business owners are optimistic about the economy, and business owners in regions of the country that last year were most concerned about the economy are now looking up according to results of the 2014 U.S. Bank Annual Small Business Survey."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews