On the Web:
- Mobile-Payments Startup Square Discusses Possible Sale - Wall St. Journal - "With losses widening and cash shrinking, representatives of mobile-payments startup Square Inc. have discussed a possible sale to several deeper-pocketed rivals, according to people familiar with the matter."
- Facebook: Taking on PayPal with socially useful banking - The Independent (UK) - "As a new entrant to the financial-services marketplace, Facebook therefore has a huge advantage. It remains the go-to social network which gives it instant access to potentially millions of fed up UK bank customers."
- The plot to kill the password - The Verge - "Since 2012, a group called the FIDO Alliance has been working on that standard, building a bridge between hardware projects like Samsung’s fingerprint reader and the online services they’re connecting to."
- 8 Tools to Send Messages to Shoppers Based on In-Store Movements - StreetFight - "Here are eight tools that merchants can use to send offers or promotions based on their customers’ real-time indoor movements."
- Using Bitcoin to Build a Better Common Law - The Umlaut - "The basic idea is to use multiple addresses per private key in order to make it harder to hijack your bitcoins."
On the Wires:
- NetSpend, Western Union to Introduce Co-Branded Prepaid Card in the U.S. - “Combining the strengths of Western Union’s global brand and expertise in moving money with NetSpend’s deep prepaid knowledge and unique product capabilities, creates an incredible opportunity for us to better serve an underserved market,” said Dan Henry, chief executive officer of NetSpend.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Data in Payments, April 22 in Mountain View, CA; Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews