On the Web:
- U.S. Fed's Kocherlakota says interested in bitcoin - Reuters - "Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank President Narayana Kocherlakota, speaking at a town hall at North Dakota State University, said he is interested in bitcoin as a technology, not as a currency."
- Bank of America Swings to Quarterly Loss on Legal Costs - New York Times - "The bank said on Wednesday that its litigation expenses increased to $6 billion in the quarter, showing how Bank of America is still paying for its mortgage missteps nearly six years after the financial crisis."
- Seeking Growth, The Payments Industry Embraces New Technologies - TechCrunch - "Venture capital investment in payment technologies hit a five-year high in committed capital in the first quarter of 2014, when 59 startups raised $492 million for technologies to support, or supplant, existing payments companies."
- Mt. Gox Gives Up on Rehabilitation Bid - Wall St. Journal - "Defunct bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox has given up its plan to rebuild under bankruptcy protection and said it has agreed with a Tokyo court on the first step toward liquidation."
- Etsy to launch its wholesale platform this summer, will take a 3.5% commission for each order - The Next Web - "The scheme launched in beta almost a year ago and is designed to connect Etsy’s army of sellers with prominent retailers."
On the Wires:
- Eagle Point Network Announces Release of Anti-Fraud Credit Card by Major Financial Services - “The strength of our technology is that it puts the consumer in charge of their own security by using a simple app on their phone,” says Harry Williams the original architect of the technology.
- NFC Forum Publishes Comprehensive Set of Technical Specifications - "The new versions deliver greater interoperability, faster read and write performance, mediated handover, and lower power consumption, as well as additional functionality for products incorporating NFC technology."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Data in Payments, April 22 in Mountain View, CA; Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews