On the Web:
- A Hack That Makes Bitcoins a Whole Lot Harder to Steal - Wired - "With this addition to the bitcoin protocol, you can protect your bitcoins with more than one private key..."
- Glenbrook Launches Insight Workshop Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond - PaymentsViews.com - "The short reason we assembled the workshop is we’re payment geeks. We want to shorten your learning curve so you can judge MBCs from a business perspective for yourself."
- EBay Settles Board Fight With Icahn - "Mr. Icahn added that while he still believed in the value of splitting PayPal form eBay at some point, he was satisfied with the ability to regularly meet with Mr. Donahoe to discuss ways to improve shareholder value."
- Google exec reiterates commitment to mobile payments - CNet - "With payment credentials stored in the cloud, Google can integrate payments into its other products like Gmail."
- Lenders Place Their Bets on Mobile Banking - Wall St. Journal - "Stephan Roulland used to walk to his nearest bank branch every time he wanted to deposit a check for his business, burning nearly an hour in the process."
- Q. and A. on Heartbleed: A Flaw Missed by the Masses - New York Times Bits Blog - "In an interview, Zulfikar Ramzan, the chief technology officer for Elastica, a cloud security start-up, offered some insight into Heartbleed and open-source software..."
- Users’ Stark Reminder: As Web Grows, It Grows Less Secure - New York Times - "The bug known as Heartbleed, a flaw widely replicated in the main system for encrypting consumers’ online data, is a stark reminder that the Internet is still in its youth, and vulnerable to all sorts of unseen dangers, including simple human error."
On the Wires:
- Financial Regulators Expect Firms to Address OpenSSL “Heartbleed” Vulnerability - "The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) members expect financial institutions to incorporate patches on systems and services, applications, and appliances using OpenSSL and upgrade systems as soon as possible to address the vulnerability."
- First Data Releases March 2014 SpendTrend® Analysis - "Dollar volume growth remained positive at 2.1%, but slipped from February’s growth of 2.4%."
- FIS GenNOW Helps Financial Institutions Reach Entrepreneurs, Mobile and Young Consumers - "FIS GenNOW™ Financial Services allows financial institutions to capitalize on these customers by providing real-time access to funds via mobile or prepaid cards."
- Citi® and American Airlines Celebrate Exclusive Admirals Club® Lounge Relationship - "In celebration of this exclusive relationship, during the month of April, Citi will offer complimentary One-Day Passes to any domestic U.S. based Admirals Club lounge or US Airways Club to travelers whose credit cards no longer provide complimentary access."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Meet the Glenbrook Team on Thursday, April 17 in Menlo Park, CA - Click here to RSVP
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- Glenbrook Payments Insights Workshops: Data in Payments, April 22 in Mountain View, CA; Innovation in Payments, May 8 in Palo Alto, CA; Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond, June 25 in New York City.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews