On the Web:
- Introducing Xapo - Xapo Blog - "At Xapo, we understand that Bitcoin’s ultimate success will be based on trust – both in the currency itself and in the industry’s security and service providers."
- Building the Fort Knox for Bitcoin - wall St. Journal - "A Silicon Valley startup called Xapo is among a handful of young companies trying to become the Fort Knox of bitcoin, building secret bank vaults deep in the earth that would safely store millions of dollars worth of bitcoin code on computer drives."
- New York BitLicense Order - Virtual Currency Report - "While the latest NYDFS statements leave a lot of unanswered questions and do not provide a clear path forward for virtual currency firms, it appears on balance to be a step forward for those virtual currency exchanges seeking licensure in New York."
- Missed Alarms and 40 Million Stolen Credit Card Numbers: How Target Blew It - Bloomberg BusinessWeek - "The biggest retail hack in U.S. history wasn’t particularly inventive, nor did it appear destined for success."
- What is Apple’s commerce and payments strategy? - Mobile Commerce Daily (Tim Dunn) - "The stars are aligning for Apple to make a dynamic move into the commerce and payments space."
- Bank of England: Digital Currencies are Similar to Commodities - CoinDesk - "“Digital currencies are not at present widely used as a medium of exchange. Instead, their popularity largely derives from their ability to serve as an asset class..."
- Flypay Raises £1M To Make Settling Your Restaurant Bill “Waiter-Free” - TechCrunch - "Aiming to get the time it takes to ask for and settle a restaurant bill down from an average of ten minutes to closer to a minute, you simply scan an on-table QR code/NFC tag to first recall the bill."
- How Real Is Loyalty and Rewards Fraud? - "The threat of fraud to rewards programs is real, and financial institutions and retailers must be cautioned about relaxing their guards just because a surge in fraud has yet to occur."
On the Wires:
- GE Announces Filing of Registration Statement for IPO of its North American Retail Finance Business - "GE announced today that it has filed a registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission for the initial public offering (IPO) of its North American Retail Finance business."
- Ramón Martín joins Visa Inc. as Head of Merchant Sales and Solutions - "Mr. Martín joins Visa from American Express Company..." Also, "Visa announced that Elizabeth Buse has decided to retire..."
- MAS to Regulate Virtual Currency Intermediaries for Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Risks - "The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said today that it will regulate virtual currency intermediaries in Singapore to address potential money laundering and terrorist financing (ML/TF) risks."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews