On the Web:
- Bank of America Seeks a Lift From Flat-Fee Checking - Wall St. Journal - "The checkless account, for customers with low balances, will charge a set monthly fee of $4.95, but won't allow overdrafts."
- MasterCard plays safety card - Financial Review - "MasterCard’s global chief financial officer, Martina Hund-Mejean, says its PayPal clone MasterPass will beat any nascent threat from the online payment company because it is more secure."
- For Bitcoin, Secure Future Might Need Oversight - New York Times (Farhad Manjoo) - "The most straightforward way of improving the safety of Bitcoin is also the most obvious: running independent audits of sites."
- Bitcoin inventor found - Kottke.org - "Newsweek's Leah McGrath Goodman tracked down a man who could be the Bitcoin founder and discovered that his real name is...Satoshi Nakamoto."
- NFC and mobile payments – always a bridesmaid never a bride - ElectronicsWeekly.com - "NFC has been a bit of a bridesmaid to the cellphone industry, hanging around hopefully without ever getting to the altar."
- A vast hidden surveillance network runs across America, powered by the repo industry - BetaBoston - "An automated reader attached to the spotter car takes a picture of every license plate it passes and sends it to a company in Texas..."
- We Are All Intelligence Officers Now - Dan Geer
On the Wires:
- UK Financial Conduct Authority: £75 trillion payment systems industry to have new regulator – FCA will open the market to new entrants to improve competition - "Competition will be high on the agenda of the new regulator. The largest payment systems are owned and managed by the big banks, but concerns have been raised that the sector lacks transparency and innovation."
- NAFCU Statement to Set Record Straight on NRF - “It is time they stopped playing fast and loose with the truth about data security. Chip-and-PIN technology is no panacea and does not replace the need for national standards on data security."
- CardinalCommerce Awarded US Patent for Expanded eCommerce Technology - "CardinalCommerce, the pioneer and global leader enabling remote commerce, announced it has received new intellectual property protection with regard to technology that expands its Universal Merchant Platform invention, in the form of patent US 8,650,118 B2."
- NPCI appoints FIME to set up the certification body for India’s Payment Scheme, RuPay - "FIME will define the certification specification, laboratory setup, test plan specification, test tools and operate the certification board for RuPay."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews