On the Web:
- Q&A: The New IRS Rules on Bitcoin - WSJ Total Return Blog - "Today the Internal Revenue Service issued Notice 2014-21 in an effort to clarify the tax treatment of bitcoin and other virtual currencies before the April 15 tax deadline."
- Can the bitcoin market absorb hundreds of millions in institutional capital? We’re about to find out - PandoDaily - "The bitcoin market is about to get slammed with more capital and more trading sophistication than it’s ever faced."
- Chicago's Trustwave sued over Target data breach - Crain's Chicago Business - "Although the most serious allegations are leveled at Target, the suit alleges that Trustwave failed to identify deficiencies in the retailer's IT systems."
- ZIP Codes Show Extent of Sally Beauty Breach - Krebs on Security - "The analysis published in this post suggests that the Sally Beauty breach may have impacted virtually all 2,600+ Sally Beauty locations nationwide."
- Kraken Bitcoin Exchange raises $5 mln Series A - Reuters PE Hub - "Payward, Inc. today announced the completion of a $5 million Series A round of funding for its Kraken (https://www.kraken.com) division, the innovative online exchange for Bitcoin, Ripple, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Ven and other digital currencies."
- European Central Bank: Bitcoin Shouldn’t be Ignored or Dismissed - CoinDesk - "In a speech delivered at the at the ECB/Banca d’Italia Workshop on Interchange Fees, Yves Mersch, Member of the Executive Board of the ECB, said digital currencies are still too small to have an impact on retail payments and central banks."
- The biggest barrier to entry to banking is the regulator - Financial Services Club Blog - "Why is this? Because the biggest barrier to banking is regulation. Regulators are keen to ensure that there are only a few major banks in each country."
- Positive Commerce Trends in South Africa - VeriFone Blog - "This is not only changing the economy from cash to card but is also fueling demand for more sophisticated prepaid and charge card products – as well as enabling mobile and online shopping."
On the Wires:
- eBay Inc. Issues Letter to Shareholders - “Our shareholders and our customers are best served by keeping PayPal and eBay together,” eBay’s Board of Directors said. “No other payments competitor has achieved PayPal’s success—because no other competitor has had a commerce platform like eBay.”
- MasterCard and Monitise Partner to Deliver Digital Payment Services - “For more than a decade, MasterCard has driven the development of mobile commerce – including the world’s first contactless and mobile payments solutions,” said Ed McLaughlin, chief emerging payments officer, MasterCard. “Our partnership with Monitise builds upon a shared commitment to improve the mobile shopping experience today and into the future.”
- First Data Brings on First Developer Licensee for its VisionPLUS and AccessPLUS Suite of Products - "Attra Infotech becomes part of the international partner ecosystem that enables First Data to bring application support services and product innovation to our clients for the VisionPLUS and AccessPLUS licensed software products."
- New U.S. Bank E-Payment Service Kiosk Offers Clients a Flexible, Secure Receivables Option - "Similar to an ATM, U.S. Bank’s E-Payment Service Kiosks are customizable, free-standing units available to businesses, nonprofits, utilities and other billers that want to give their own customers the option to conveniently and securely pay bills on the spot."
- Boku Partners With sunhill technologies to Provide Global Carrier Billing Solutions for Parking and Mobile Ticketing Services - “Our mobile parking solutions offer a simple, pleasant customer experience,” said Matthias Mandelkow, CEO of sunhill technologies. “Direct carrier billing further simplifies that experience for our customers, offering the best combination of ease-of-use, security, and access and through our partnership with Boku we can offer our services worldwide.”
- Diners Club International® Ltd. and Cornèr Bank Ltd. Sign New Issuing Agreement in Switzerland - “Switzerland is a key market for Diners Club International to further expand its presence,” said Eduardo Tobon, President of Diners Club International. “We believe Cornèrcard is the right card issuer to help us execute on this goal with its long and successful history of innovation having pioneered the payments industry in Switzerland.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews