On the Web:
- NFC Forum Statement Regarding Host Card Emulation (HCE) - NFC Forum - "We view Host Card Emulation (HCE) as an exciting development for the NFC market because it provides an additional means by which to perform NFC transactions."
- Bitcoin Startup Investments Surpass $117 Million - Bloomberg - "Bitcoin, the most popular digital currency, is drawing attention from institutional investors after evolving over five years from an intellectual novelty into a global financial network."
- Q & A with Lending Club CEO Renaud Laplanche - CNN Money (Fortune) - "When you put together the low cost of capital of the banks and the low cost and great service of Lending Club, having banks relinquish the customer relationships and becoming investors on the platform is a good way to transform the banking system but associate the banks with that transformation is good."
- The Amazing Vaporizing 35%: Banks and Mobile Banking - MasterCard Payments Perspectives Blog - "All of this heat and noise in my opinion unintentionally obfuscates the real situation, which is less a threat than a fact of life: competition is increasing pricing pressure, pushing margins down across the payments ecosystem."
- Ezetap Gets Additional Funding From Amex To Expand Its Mobile Payment Platform Across Emerging Markets - TechCrunch - "The companies did not disclose the quantum of funding, but added in a statement that “it’s a minority investment” by American Express."
- Understanding Regulators’ Warnings - "Let’s take a look at the dynamics around regulators’ warnings, and reporting about those warnings, to get things in perspective. We’ll use the U.S. state of Massachusetts as an example."
- Daily Report: Entrepreneurs in Hong Kong Place Their Bets on Bitcoin - New York Times BITS Blog - “The Internet started out as a revolutionary protocol, became more easy to use over time and saw an explosive growth rate. The same is happening with Bitcoin.”
- Coinbase Hires Big Names From Amazon and Facebook to Bolster Security and Business Development - CoinDesk - "Coinbase is adding some notable technology veterans to its team, it says."
On the Wires:
- American Express Expands Benefits for Platinum Card® Members - "These benefits include complimentary, unlimited access to Wi-Fi hotspots provided by Boingo Wireless, a global market leader in Wi-Fi, as well as an application fee statement credit option for the TSA Pre✓™ program."
- Small Businesses Get Paid Faster With QuickBooks Payments - "As part of the expanding QuickBooks ecosystem of online products and services, QuickBooks Online users who also use QuickBooks Payments get their invoices paid on average two times faster than those who don’t. When these small businesses email their invoices and allow their customers to pay online, they significantly reduce the time it takes to receive payment."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews