On the Web:
- Remarks From Under Secretary of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David S. Cohen on "Addressing the Illicit Finance Risks of Virtual Currency" - US Department of the Treasury - "But one way virtual currency is different from cash, and different from other established payment mechanisms, is that users of virtual currency today can transfer value – around town, across the country, and over oceans – in the blink of an eye with comparatively little or, in some cases, no regulatory oversight."
- Sharing what’s up our sleeve: Android coming to wearables - Official Google Blog - "Today we’re announcing Android Wear, a project that extends Android to wearables. And we’re starting with the most familiar wearable — watches."
- Clinkle Revealed: Here’s What the Embattled Startup Is (and Isn’t) Building - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - "So for all the buzz it has generated, Clinkle’s offering is essentially a cool-looking money-transfer app coupled with a prepaid debit card."
- China's central bank mulls Alibaba, Tencent payment curbs - state media - Reuters - "The People's Bank of China released draft rules last week to major banks for consultation, state media reported on Monday. The measures would ban the payment companies from handling offline transactions."
- A Company Innovating The Way We Pay For Stuff Ditched Bitcoin And Concentrated On The Dollar Instead - Business Insider - "So there's no Bitcoin integration on the way for Dwolla for the foreseeable future."
- My business accepts Bitcoins - CNN Money - "Bitcoin's marketing potential is a big reason small businesses are trying it out ... It's a way to attract new customers."
- Wall Street Trains Fire on Idea of a Bank Tax - Wall St. Journal - "A summary of Mr. Camp's legislation said he proposed the tax on large financial institutions in part because it would offset the lower borrowing costs they receive from a perceived government backstop."
On the Wires:
- Elavon Introduces Payment Integrated Loyalty Program - "Elavon ... is bringing to market Fanfare, an easy-to-use loyalty program that delivers rewards to patrons of small to mid-sized businesses right at the point-of-sale."
- Ariba Announces First Transaction on AribaPay - "AribaPay is a cloud-based B2B payments solution designed to provide better visibility into business payments and produce rich remittance information to improve the reconciliation processes."
- JetPay® Card Services Introduces MAC-- the Money Access Visa® Prepaid Card - "MAC is a general purpose reloadable (GPR) prepaid card that behaves much like a checkless checking account with a compelling value proposition that will have broad appeal to consumers with or without a bank account."
- Purchase Data Reveals Surprising Truths About Customer Loyalty - "Through relationships with nearly 400 banks in the US and the UK, Cardlytics utilizes their patented Cardlytics Automated Transaction System (CATS) to analyze the purchase behavior of consumers within and across categories and geographies. The analysis demonstrated that frequency should not be the only determining factor when identifying an organization’s most loyal patrons."
- CA Technologies Helps Secure Mobile Transactions for Poste Italiane Customers Who Use Postepay App - "CA AuthMinder, CA Technologies leading authentication solution behind PosteID, helps secure PostePay mobile transactions for employees, customers and citizens with a convenient advanced authentication system that uses one-time passwords, device-specific credentials and other out-of-band authentication to help verify identities."
- TD Bank Enhances Online Money Movement Services with Addition of Popmoney and TransferNow from Fiserv - "Popmoney and TransferNow allow customers to move money conveniently and securely, which makes their financial lives easier.”
- Bluefin Payment Systems PayConexTM P2PE Approved as PCI Validated Point-to-Point (P2PE) Solution - "Point-to-Point Encryption (P2PE) technology can help merchants simplify their PCI DSS compliance programs by removing clear-text cardholder data from a merchant’s environment and reducing the scope of PCI DSS requirements."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews