On the Web:
- Starbucks CEO on mobile payments - Fox News - "Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz on the success and expansion of the company’s mobile payment platform."
- Why I'm Joining PayPal - PayPal Forward Blog (Rakesh “Rocky” Agrawal) - "Part of my role at PayPal will be to help small businesses and entrepreneurs understand online commerce and payments."
- A Deeper Look at Uber’s Dynamic Pricing Model - Above the Crowd (Bill Gurley) - "So why does Uber’s dynamic pricing even exist? The answer lies in understanding that Uber is fundamentally a marketplace, where supply is controlled not by the company but by the legion of independent contractors and transportation providers with whom they work."
- Decentralizing Identity - Continuations (Albert Wenger) - "It is still early days for all of this, but the potential for these emerging decentralized identity systems is to further push power to the people and away from central authorities."
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies: A Critical Insight - IBM Academy of Technology TechNotes - "Bitcoin allows you to transfer economic value to any individual, anywhere in the world, without the involvement or approval of a third party, at minimal cost. This architecture is unlike any payment sys-tem that has previously existed. We are now observing a proliferation of new entrants building on its insights."
- Top 50 credit unions grow in the face of new regulations - SNL Financial - "After several years of growth, the nation's credit unions saw the first drop in aggregate net income since 2008."
- McDonald’s Sweden takes mobile payments to the next level - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The technology is being powered by Seamless’ SEQR mobile wallet solution."
- How Banks Should Respond to the New Players in Payments - Bank Systems & Technology - "Silicon Valley Bank has taken a different approach to new payments players, by using its unique position in the “cradle of innovation” to incubate payments startups in partnership with MasterCard, Reekita Grewal shared."
- Millennials see banks as irrelevant | Scratch - "This turned out to be a longer post than I expected. The catalyst was the millennial belief in irrelevance of banks. This is not to be ignored or ignored at your banks peril."
On the Wires:
- BitPay Surpasses 26,000 Approved Merchants - "Almost exactly six months since its announcement of 10,000 merchants, BitPay, world leader in business solutions for Bitcoin digital currency, announced today that it has surpassed 26,000 approved merchants."
- 2Checkout Offers Instant Underwriting for New U.S. Merchant Accounts - “There is no faster way for an online seller to start accepting payments than using 2Checkout,” says Tom Dailey, CEO of 2Checkout. “Sellers love this -- no paperwork; no waiting; no wondering.”
- New Bain Survey of 25,000 US and European Consumers Finds Users of Mobile Payments Spend Nearly Twice as Much Through Digital Channels Overall Than Those Not Buying on Mobile Devices - “The case for mobile payments has been a long time in the making, but still remains unconvincing for many consumers,” said Stephen Bertrand, partner with Bain & Company in London, head of the firm’s Technology practice in EMEA and lead author of the report.
- Wells Fargo Launches Online Magazine - “Wells Fargo Stories opens a new window into the company’s vision and values,” said Oscar Suris, executive vice president and head of corporate communications for Wells Fargo.
- WEX Inc. Brings Rebranded Mobile Application to Market - “The WEX™ Connect service location capability enables drivers to search for and quickly locate their preferred fuel and service stations,” said Ken Janosick, senior vice president and general manager of WEX global fleet direct.
- Umpqua Bank Introduces Next Generation Flagship Store in Seattle - "Located at 200 Westlake Avenue N., the store integrates technology and design to create a compelling and inviting space for customers and the community."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews