On the Web:
- Heat System Called Door to Target for Hackers - New York Times - "A lot of organizations don’t know these systems are online...”
- Pay Your Check with OpenTable Mobile: Pilot Payment Program Launches in San Francisco - OpenTable Blog - "Simply add a credit card in the OpenTable iPhone app before your meal and you’ll be able to view and pay your check. There’s no scanning or bar codes involved."
- Will Apple's iBeacon Change the Way We Shop? - Mashable - "With iBeacon and Bluetooth LE, Apple may have created a far more palatable and more passive way of paying digitally, especially since it relies on a payment method iOS customers already know."
- Citi Pushes to Be the 'Amazon of Banking' - AdWeek - "Citi is embracing utility and digital ease-of-use into its brand identity."
- October 2015: The End of the Swipe-and-Sign Credit Card - Wall St. Journal Corporate Intelligence Blog - "We spoke with MasterCard’s Carolyn Balfany, the company’s expert on all things related to the new payment system, known as EMV..."
- A Venture Capitalist Is Betting A Pair Of Socks (And $50 Million) On Bitcoin's Future - NPR's Planet Money - "Ben's belief in bitcoin isn't based on how much it costs to buy a bitcoin. It's based on the belief that bitcoin is a major technological advance that will make it cheaper and easier for people to buy and sell stuff over the Internet."
- Chip Standards Body Fast-Tracks New Token Standard in Wake of Target, Other Recent Breaches - Digital Transactions (John Stewart) - "EMVCo., the international standards body for chip cards based on the EMV specification, is fast-tracking a specification for card-number tokenization..."
- Free Checking Is Disappearing Perk - Wall St. Journal - "About 41% of U.S. financial institutions aren't offering unconditional free checking accounts this year..."
- Smartphone swipe payment scheme unveiled - Guardian (UK) - "Tapping a smartphone on a card reader to pay for a sandwich or a bus journey could soon become an everyday event, under a scheme unveiled on Thursday by Vodafone, O2 and EE."
- You Can Now Pay Cash For Bitcoin at 28,000 UK Stores - CoinDesk - "Bitcoiners can now pay cash for bitcoins at 28,000 shops across the UK, thanks to a new service set up by ZipZap."
On the Wires:
- Weve and MasterCard Join Forces in UK Contactless Mobile Payments - "Under the terms of their agreement, MasterCard will continue their strong legacy of innovation to provide technology and integration services to banks and financial institutions wishing to take advantage of Weve’s payments platform, accelerating their ability to offer customers safe, simple and smart contactless mobile payments."
- Card-Not-Present Fraud: A Primer on Trends and Transaction Authentication Processes - Smart Card Alliance - "Methods for securely authenticating CNP transactions and preventing fraud is the topic of the new white paper from the Smart Card Alliance Payments Council, “Card-Not-Present Fraud: A Primer on Trends and Transaction Authentication Processes.”
- Discover Expands Rollout of Free FICO® Scores to Consumer Credit Cardmembers - "Discover today announced the full rollout of free FICO® Scores provided on the monthly statements of millions of Discover cardmembers, following the pilot launch to Discover it cardmembers, which occurred in November 2013."
- JetPay Card Services Adds Former U.S. Bancorp and MasterCard® Executive – Ralph A. Bianco to Launch Prepaid Card Services - "Most recently Mr. Bianco was Chief Operating Officer of Adaptive Payments Inc. where he led product development and management efforts, as well as the business operations of the company."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Upcoming Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York City and May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: [email protected] or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews