On the Web:
- UK carrier joint venture Weve partners with MasterCard to simplify mobile payments rollout - "Weve ... has announced a partnership with MasterCard that it hopes will accelerate the readiness of stores to take mobile payments."
- Target Hackers Broke in Via HVAC Company - Krebs on Security - "Sources now tell KrebsOnSecurity that the vendor in question was a refrigeration, heating and air conditioning subcontractor..."
- New Online Banking Report Published: Money 3.0 - Online Banking Report (Jim Bruene) - "The report, Money 3.0: Payments Go Mobile examines the evolution of money beyond cash, check and credit cards."
- As Offline Purchase Data Comes Online, Changes in Store for Local Marketing - StreetFight - "The payments industry is shifting slowly from a logistics industry, focused on storing and moving money, to an analytics industry that generates services around its unique and complex dataset."
- Chipotle invests big in mobile payments - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Chipotle will be deploying in-store technology similar to Starbucks’ bar code readers that will be able to accept mobile payments."
- A Global Bankers Cryptocurrency? - Bitcoin Magazine - "The Bitcoin buzz is pervasive and a lot of people are trying to understand this whole new concept of some kind of money that exists somewhere out there in cyberspace."
- With Technology’s Aid, Banks Squeeze Their Branches Into Smaller Locations - New York Times - "Today’s bank, on the other hand, looks more like an Apple store, where a customer is as likely to interact with a screen as a person."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Names Tim Murphy General Counsel and Chief Franchise Officer; Noah Hanft to Retire from MasterCard - "MasterCard today announced the appointment of Tim Murphy to general counsel and chief franchise officer, effective April 1, 2014. The appointment comes as Noah Hanft announces his retirement from MasterCard."
- Khosla Ventures Leads $10.5M Series B Funding Round for Mobile Shopping Pioneer Tapingo - "Tapingo, a mobile shopping platform with contextually-aware native apps for consumers and easy operational integration for merchants, announced today that it has received $10.5 million in Series B funding. Khosla Ventures led the round with participation from existing investor, Carmel Ventures."
- Mobeam and Clutch Launch Mobile Wallet that Beams Barcodes to Laser Scanners - “The mobile shopping experience needs to be easy, simple and convenient for our customers,” said Andy O’Dell, co-founder and Chief Commercial Officer of Clutch. “Now that our Clutch app is enabled with Mobeam’s beaming technology, consumers will be able to use gift cards, loyalty cards and coupons – anything that has a barcode – at the checkout line, right from their smartphone."
- Fifth Third Bank Launches Enhanced Payment Solutions For Commercial Card Customers - "Through Card Payables, customers are able to streamline accounts payable processes, improve reporting capabilities, enable easier and faster payments to their vendors, and reduce the amount of checks being issued by the customer."
- First Data Reports Fourth Quarter 2013 Financial Results - “During the fourth quarter, First Data launched Clover Station™, its next-generation point-of-sale business solution; acquired Perka, a customer loyalty application, both of which are aimed at small-to-midsized merchants; and established a preferred supplier relationship with Oberthur for EMV chip and PIN cards for the United States,” said First Data CEO Frank Bisignano.
- Heartland Payment Systems Reports 22% Increase in Fourth Quarter and Full Year Adjusted Earnings Per Share - Robert O. Carr, Chairman and CEO, said, “For the second consecutive year, Heartland Payment Systems reported record earnings and net revenue."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Upcoming Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York City and May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews