Probs at @MtGox underscore fact that thoughtful regulation could play impt role in protecting consumers with funds at virtual currency firms— Ben Lawsky (@BenLawsky) February 25, 2014
On the Web:
- PayPal makes a move for wearables payments - Mobile Commerce Daily - “We think wearable payments are another very innovative and interesting way to help remove friction from payments experience...”
- Isis CEO: Foundation is here for mobile payments - CNET - "Isis appears on the cusp of a big promotional push, although Abbott declined to provide details."
- Visa Is Experimenting With Biometric Payment Systems - Gizmodo - "For now though, the focus at Visa remains on contactless, NFC payments."
- Card Backlog Extends Pain from Target Breach - Krebs on Security - "...the process by which banks obtain legitimate replacement cards for their customers is not always quite so speedy."
- Defending Bitcoin, Andreessen Says Mt. Gox Is ‘Like MF Global’ - New York Times Dealbook - "“This is like MF Global, not some huge breakdown of the underlying technology or other exchanges..."
- Build your online store and start accepting Dwolla payments with Shopify - Dwolla Blog - "It takes just a few minutes, is free to add, and lets you bypass the high credit card fees. It doesn’t get much better than that."
- E-checks are handy, but are they a safe way to pay for travel? - Washington Post - "As a practical matter, setting up an e-check involves giving the travel company basic bank information, typically gained through the bank’s routing numbers, as well as your account number, and authorizing the transaction."
- Why Regulating Bitcoin Won’t Work - CoinDesk - "Put simply, no government on the planet can stop me from downloading a wallet or mining client and connecting to the bitcoin network."
- Joint Statement Regarding MtGox - Coinbase Blog - "The purpose of this document is to summarize a joint statement to the Bitcoin community regarding Mt.Gox."
- The Bitcoin Collective Delusion - Bloomberg View (Barry Ritholtz) - "Perhaps with the exception of barter, any system that relies on a medium of exchange is a form of collective delusion."
- Why eBay CEO Doesn't Fear Apple Payments - eCommerceBytes - "I don't think that's a business a lot of people want to get into, because payments is a very hard business..."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard and Syniverse Deliver Peace of Mind for Mobile Users - "The two companies are currently in pilot-phase for an opt-in service that will enable card transactions for users only when they have their mobile device switched on in a specific geolocation abroad."
- PayPal and Deutsche Telekom Expand European Reach with Carrier Payments Collaboration - "PayPal and Deutsche Telekom today announced a direct carrier billing relationship, which enables Deutsche Telekom users to make purchases directly to their mobile phone account."
- NXP Expands NFC Ecosystem with Android KitKat Integration - “By supporting HCE with our established and market-proven PN547 NFC controller, we are opening the door and creating markets for new applications and new ways consumers can use this interactive technology, said Jeff Miles, vice president mobile transactions, NXP Semiconductors.
- FrozenCPU Powered by Endpoint to Accept Bitcoin via BitPay - "Together BitPay, FrozenCPU, and End Point expand the user experience to make purchases with bitcoins and add another check out option for merchants wanting to accept bitcoin payments."
- When Mobile and Retail Come Together: OT and Ingenico Demonstrate NFC Couponing at MWC - "In line with the mobile NFC Value Added Services proposal for point of sale (POS) terminals from the GSMA, this collaboration between both companies will enable retailers to securely dematerialize coupons and loyalty on an NFC Secure Element..."
- Wells Fargo Names A. Charles Thomas as Chief Data Officer - "Thomas will join Wells Fargo from USAA where he served as the chief data and analytics officer."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews