On the Web:
- HCE: We Are Not in Kansas Anymore - Drop Labs (Cherian Abraham) - "But in light of the network certification announcements yesterday, this post is an attempt to provide some perspective on what the V/MA moves mean, how do their approaches differ in certifying payments using cloud hosted credentials, what should issuers expect from a device and terminal support perspective, why retailers should take note of the debate around HCE and..."
- Test drive: Loop's digital payment device - Boston.com - "For now, using the Fob is a cool parlor trick. And it's an affordable gadget to acquire if you want to be the first in your office to have one..."
- Bitcoin security model: trust by computation - O'Reilly Radar - "Bitcoin is a distributed consensus network that maintains a secure and trusted distributed ledger through a process called “proof-of-work.”"
- Life Just Got a Little Better for Developers, Welcome PayPal’s New Head of Open Source - PayPal Forward Blog - "We are excited to announce that a major open source leader, Danese Cooper, has joined as PayPal’s first-ever Head of Open Source."
- Mobile payments smackdown: Did Google Wallet just outplay Isis? - Mobile Commerce Daily - “With HCE, Google has opened the flood gates for NFC Payments and created a level playing field for all mobile wallet providers — issuers, networks, retailers, etc. ..."
- Winklevoss Brothers Offer an Index to Track Price of Bitcoin - New York Times Dealbook - "The Winkdex was released publicly on Wednesday and provides a regularly updated figure for the price of Bitcoin..."
On the Wires:
- MEPs back cap on card payment fees - "For credit card transactions, MEPs backed the European Commission's proposal to cap the bank’s fee at 0.3% of the transaction value. For debit card transactions, the committee amended the proposed cap to 7 euro cents, or 0.2% of the transaction value, whichever is the lower."
- SecureKey Chosen by Royal Canadian Mint to Authenticate MintChip Digital Currency Consumers - “SecureKey offered us a robust multi-platform solution that delivers a very high level of device security while providing MintChip consumers with a convenient, familiar payment experience,” said Marc Brûlé, chief emerging payments officer at the Royal Canadian Mint.
- Consumer Action and NBPCA Partner to Offer Payroll Card Best Practices for Employers and Employees - "With funding, technical feedback and industry expertise from NBPCA members ADP, Commerce Bank, First Data, MasterCard and Visa, An Employee's Guide to Payroll Cards was produced and is now available as a free download in English on the Web..."
- OKI Delivers First ATM Incorporating Finger Vein Authentication to Chinese Bank - "OKI aims for expanded sales of ATMs incorporating finger vein authentication, a feature that makes forgery and identity fraud significantly more difficult."
- Proxama and Cryptomathic Create Mobile Contactless Payment Solution Leveraging NFC Host Card Emulation - "The solution leverages Host Card Emulation (HCE), taking away the reliance on a secure element and enabling contactless payments to be made in the same way as using a contactless card, securely, via any NFC mobile handset."
- ACI Strengthens Support for UnionPay Payments - "ACI’s clearing solution, ACI Interchange, opens up new markets for financial institutions and processors by enabling support for UnionPay transactions while extending infrastructure options to include IBM System p™ AIX."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews