On the Web:
- Regulators and Hackers Put Bitcoin to the Test - New York Times - "Susan Athey, a professor of economics at Stanford Business School, pointed to several potential outcomes."
- Reporting From the Web’s Underbelly - New York Times - "Mr. Krebs, 41, tries to write pieces that cannot be found elsewhere. His widely read cybersecurity blog, Krebs on Security, covers a particularly dark corner of the Internet..."
- Bitcoin for idiots: An introductory guide - VentureBeat -"Now Bitcoin is emerging out of its angsty adolescence into a more mature, adult, stable form."
- The Banking Industry’s Varied Views on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - "Here are three different banks, with very different stances on bitcoin, that reveal just how contrasting the financial industry can be."
- The Mythical End State of Security - Portals and Rails Blog - "EMV is a step in the right direction, but it is not the final and only step. EMV will be costly to implement. It will not and cannot be the final investment spent on securing card payments."
On the Wires:
- New York Fed Report Shows Households Adding Debt - “This quarter is the first time since before the Great Recession that household debt has increased over its year-ago levels suggesting that after a long period of deleveraging, households are borrowing again,” said Wilbert van der Klaauw, senior vice president and economist at the New York Fed.
- U.S. 2013 Credit and Debit Card Purchases Increased 8% Over 2012 - "American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa consumer and commercial credit, debit, and prepaid cards issued in the U.S. combined to generate $4.077 trillion in spending at merchants in 2013, up 7.9% from 2012, according to the annual report on U.S. General Purpose Credit Cards, published in the most recent issue of The Nilson Report..."
- Datacard Group Announces EMV Professional Services for Card Issuers and Services Bureaus - "The new EMV Professional Service offerings – provided by Datacard Group - give organizations a wide-range of educational material, technology tools and resources designed to help them make calculated decisions on what they need for EMV smart card programs."
- Vesta Announces Launch of DelayPay Installment Plan for Mobile Operators - "The new service enables customers to refill their mobile accounts immediately and pay the amount due over 30 days. Currently live in production as a pilot with a major operator in the U.S., DelayPay is offered to select customers who are paying their mobile bills online."
- EFT Source Starting 2014 with Strong Growth, Now Deploying more than 1,000 Card@Once Printers - "With Card@Once, an EMV-capable instant issuance solution, cardholders can simply walk into a branch and, within seconds, receive a fully functioning, payment card."
- PCS Launches Powered Credit Card Technology to Prevent Fraud - "PCS’s solution protects consumers from fraud by generating a rolling security code."
- Mercury Payment Systems Hires Andrew Patterson as Chief Technology Officer - "Prior to his role at Mercury, Patterson served as the vice president of payments software and emerging products for Moneris Solutions Inc., Canada’s leading payments acquirer."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews