On the Web:
- Target Warned of Vulnerabilities Before Data Breach - "At least one analyst at the Minneapolis-based retailer wanted to do a more thorough security review of its payment system..."
- New York DFS Virtual Currency Hearings Point to New “BitLicense” Law - "Speaking at a cryptocurrency conference in Washington D.C. on February 11, 2014, Lawsky, explained that the DFS did not believe that Bitcoin fit neatly within current money transmitter regulations, but did suggest that elements of existing banking and money transmitter regulations could be incorporated into a specially-tailored “BitLicense.”
- Revel Systems Adds Bitcoin Support to its iPad POS System - Digital Transactions - "San Francisco-based Revel is working with Bitcoin wallet provider Coinbase to integrate acceptance."
- Can wearable devices push aside smartphones for mobile payments? - Mobile Commerce Daily - “I think wearables, and more specifically what I call the wearable wallet, are far more interesting as a payment method than a mobile phone,” said Drew Sievers, CEO of mFoundry at FIS, Larkspur, CA.
- Taco Bell to offer mobile ordering nationwide - Nation's Restaurant News - “Mobile is the biggest shift in QSR since the drive thru,” said Jenkins.
- Banks push for tokenization standard to secure credit card payments - Computerworld - "The effort stems from what the group says is the need to address gaps in the EMV standard involving mobile and online transactions."
- California Bill Would Make Bitcoin ‘Lawful Money’ - CoinDesk - "California seems poised to broaden its definition of “lawful money” to include virtual currencies with the passage of AB 129."
- MCX partners with Paydiant as launch date remains elusive - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The lack of a launch date for MCX is the latest example of how mobile payments are progressing at a slower rate than had been expected."
- New mobile payment platform 'will go far' to lift consumption - China Daily - "China has established its first national mobile payment platform using near field communication technology as part of an effort to boost information consumption..."
On the Wires:
- Orange Cash NFC mobile payment service launches in Strasbourg and Caen - "Orange and Visa Europe today announced the commercial launch of Orange Cash in Caen and Strasbourg, two of the cities with the highest use of contactless payments in France."
- Latest White Paper Examines How FIs Are Helping Mitigate Government Fraud, Expedite Payments - "The paper explores the role financial institutions (FIs) play in helping consumers gain faster access to government benefit payments while – at the same time – working to reduce fraud in those programs."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Upcoming Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York City and May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews