On the Web:
- Email Attack on Vendor Set Up Breach at Target - Krebs on Security - "The breach at Target Corp. that exposed credit card and personal data on more than 110 million consumers appears to have begun with a malware-laced email phishing attack..."
- Can PayPal Beat Apple, Google, Amazon And Icahn In The Wallet Wars? - Forbes - "The newer, nimbler PayPal now has a mission as simple as it is momentous: put PayPal into the center of every transaction, everywhere. Platform agnostic. Online or physical."
- Reflections on Bitcoin - Irving Wladawsky-Berger's Blog - "When discussing digital money, I often get asked my opinion of Bitcoin. My answers have not been all that good because I honestly don’t know what to think of Bitcoin."
- RBI examining legal, security aspects of virtual currencies: Chidambaram - The Hindu - "The government, on Tuesday, said the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) was examining the legal and security aspects of virtual currencies such as bitcoins and litecoins."
- Osama Bedier Joins WePay’s Board of Directors! - WePay Blog - "Considering his prior experience, Osama is the perfect fit to help us accelerate development of WePay’s API for platforms."
- Major Multinational Bank Trials Integration with Bitcoin - CoinDesk - "This is first time a major bank has trialled a bitcoin integration system..."
- EMV Transformation – A New Payment Experience - VeriFone Blog - "VeriFone teamed up with Gemalto to create this simple and fun eBook to help merchants and consumers understand how EMV will change how we pay."
- Password-free online authentication a step closer - Computer Weekly - "The draft technical specifications for a new authentication protocol, which could eliminate the use of passwords in the future, have been released."
- Update on Transaction Malleability - Bitcoin Foundation - "This is a denial-of-service attack; whoever is doing this is not stealing coins, but is succeeding in preventing some transactions from confirming."
On the Wires:
- Heartland Payment Systems® Announces New Chief Branding Officer - "Heartland Payment Systems ... has hired award-winning branding and strategic marketing expert, Michael McMillan, as chief branding officer."
- U.S. Bank Expands Mobile App Pilot Using Voice Biometrics to Access Credit Card Account - "The feature – called voice biometrics – allows select credit card customers to use their voice to login with a spoken passphrase so they can access their account balances, search transactions and make a payment on their account in the mobile app."
- First Data Releases January 2014 SpendTrend Analysis - "Dollar volume growth of 2.5% slowed from December’s 3.4% growth as severe winter weather pummeled the Midwest and eastern half of the country..."
- Check Offerings More Focused Per Moebs Study - "We found a significant reduction in the number of offerings – a maximum of 8 today with a median of 3 compared to 10 to 20 prior to the fall of 2008."
- Oink℠ Revolutionizes Teen Payments Landscape - "Oink, today announced users will soon have additional in-store payment capabilities with transactions enabled via the Discover® Network."
- CARDFREE Assigned Patent for Reservation and Payment System for Restaurants and Other Merchants - "The patent includes an integrated reservation, payment pre-authorization and management system that can be tied to a merchant’s point of sale (POS)."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Upcoming Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York City and May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews