On the Web:
- American Express to Appeal $5.7 Billion Swipe Fee Accord - Bloomberg - "American Express, in a filing today in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, joined retailers and trade associations including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Amazon.com Inc., 7-Eleven Inc. and Barnes & Noble Inc. (BKS) that already have filed notices that they will appeal the decision."
- Coinbase and Overstock.com Announce Largest Bitcoin Merchant Integration To Date - Coinbase Blog - "Starting today, bitcoin will be a purchase option for any item sold on Overstock.com via Coinbase. This marks the largest retail Bitcoin implementation to date."
- Overstock CEO: Why we're accepting bitcoins - CNBC - "I believe that by being the first major online retailer to accept bitcoin, we will tap into a significant group of loyal consumers, and as a result our share of the overall market will grow."
- After Crackdown, a New Bitcoin King Emerges in China - Wired - "...there’s a new top dog in China: another virtually unknown company called Huobi."
- The Bitcoin-Mining Arms Race Heats Up - Bloomberg BusinessWeek - "Flickinger, 37, a software engineer and IT consultant by trade, doesn’t leave the house much these days. He’s a full-time Bitcoin miner."
- 5 Tools to Target Customers Based on Past Purchase Behavior - StreetFight - "A survey of 300 marketers found that three-quarters believe card-linking marketing programs will replace existing types of advertising in the years to come—a strong vote of confidence from the very industry vendors are trying to tap."
- CommBank's App won't usher in the era of mobile payments - Bit - "Given the ease of NFC payment using the standard credit card, you would have to wonder why anyone would bother using their phone. In reality, most people won’t."
- The Payments Ecosystem in Poland – New Opportunities for Commerce Providers - VeriFone Blog - "Specifically in Poland, the decision to lower interchange fees opens up opportunities in the payments ecosystem like never before."
- Congressional Report Warns of Potential Bitcoin Threat to US Dollar - CoinDesk - "The authors suggest that too much bitcoin usage would lead to a tightening of monetary policy, because it could increase the money supply of US dollars."
- BitLegal Allows You to View Bitcoin’s Regulatory Status Around the World - newsBTC - "A new website has just come online that aims to serve as a valuable resource when it comes to the legality of bitcoin and its regulatory status from countries around the world."
On the Wires:
- J.P. Morgan to Explore a Sale of its Corporate and Public Prepaid Card Business - "The prepaid card business includes all Corporate, U.S. Public Sector and Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) programs, as well as Health Savings Accounts (HSA). Additionally, the firm will no longer solicit or accept any new prepaid card business."
- CAN Capital Secures $33 Million in Funding Co-Led by Meritech Capital Partners and Accel Partners - “CAN Capital was probably the best-kept secret in the emerging financial innovation boom. The company created the alternative SMB finance space and is growing rapidly,” said Kevin Efrusy, General Partner at Accel.
- Amazon Enjoys Record-Setting Year for Marketplace Sellers - "In 2013, Marketplace Sellers on Amazon sold more than a billion units worldwide, cumulatively worth tens of billions of dollars."
- Retailers Prioritize Mobile Technology Innovation Over Risk of Fraud, Says 2014 Infinite Peripherals™ Payment Technology Trends Survey - "Sixty-seven percent of respondents to the inaugural survey report that mobile technology innovation is the overwhelming priority of retailers, driving payment technology trends."
- Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA): Commission introduces an additional transition period of six months to ensure minimal disruption for consumers and businesses - "The introduction of a transitional period of six months, until 1 August 2014, means that the SEPA end-date remains the same but banks and payment institutions will be able to agree with their clients to process payments that differ from the SEPA standard until then. After 1 August 2014, there will be no further transitional period."
- Consumers Now Have More Options to Send Money Transfers, Pay Bills via Western Union at SunTrust Bank Locations - "As part of this launch, for the first time both SunTrust clients and the general public can now pay bills or load prepaid cards via Western Union services, or send money to more than 495,0001 Western Union Agent locations in 200 countries and territories from all SunTrust bank locations."
- NCR Command Center Solution Provides Greater Control and Enhanced Management for Retail Technology Platforms - "NCR Command Center provides retailers and NCR support services with new and enhanced resources to monitor and proactively resolve problems remotely."
- Ecwid Adds Stripe for Quick, Easy Merchant Payments - "Stripe simplifies every aspect of accepting payments online, from security and compliance to daily deposits to a business bank account. The Stripe platform is used by thousands of businesses, from start-ups to Fortune 50 companies including Foursquare, Mixpanel, Heroku, and Lyft."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews