On the Web:
- inMarket Rolls Out iBeacons To 200 Safeway, Giant Eagle Grocery Stores To Reach Shoppers When It Matters - TechCrunch - "Simply put: when you know exactly where a person is, especially if that is at a store entrance, you’re able to far more effectively offer them deals, coupons, promotions and reminders that will make them shop more."
- Bitcoin Tops $1,000 Again as Zynga Accepts Virtual Money - Bloomberg - “We look forward to hearing from our players about the Bitcoin test so we can continue in our efforts to provide the best possible gaming experience,” Zynga said.
- Why Zynga Won’t Be the Last Big Business to Accept Bitcoin - Recode.net - "...there’s a very good chance there are some other big businesses out there that see enough of an upside in one of the reasons I mentioned above to follow in the footsteps of Zynga and Overstock and start accepting bitcoin sooner than later."
- Deconstructing the $9.84 Credit Card Hustle - Krebs on Security - "Over the holidays, I heard from a number of readers who were seeing strange, unauthorized charges showing up on their credit and debit cards for $9.84."
- Bitcoin’s Future Foretold By Developer Momentum - TechCrunch - "The crypto currency is a hit with developers, according to data collected on GitHub by the founders of Bitcoin Pulse, a service recently launched that tracks Bitcoin adoption."
- Pamela Joseph, head of payment services, U.S. Bancorp - StarTribune - "Joseph sees the long-awaited breakthrough in mobile payments, although she’s not sure what exactly it will look like."
On the Wires:
- Union First Market Bankshares Makes Investment in The Payments Company - "The Payments Company has been successful in developing effective business to business ("B2B") payment solutions for small and mid-sized companies and Union is excited to team up with TPC to help it expand its capabilities in the large, but fragmented B2B payments marketplace."
- Allied Wallet Certified by Visa as Fully-Licensed Acquirer - "Visa Europe has recently recognized Allied Wallet, a globally-leading provider of online payment card processing, multi-currency merchant services, and state-of-the-art payment processing, as a Principal Member."
- Moneris to Streamline Payment Process for Merchants with VeriFone VX 520 - "The VX 520 is PCI PTS 3.X compliant and features one of the industry’s fastest processors that can quickly handle payment encryption, decryption and processing—enabling merchants to improve security and reduce transaction times."
- Starbucks Expands Starbucks Cards to China in Time for the Lunar New Year - "Since the Starbucks Card launched 12 years ago, $16 billion (U.S. dollars) has been loaded on more than 450 million cards in 27 countries worldwide (as of Sept. 30, 2013)."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews