On the Web:
- Postal Banking: Maybe Not So Crazy After All - American Banker BankThink (Adam Levitin) - "Put another way, is the mission of a postal bank profit or financial inclusion? Perhaps both can be achieved at the same time, but that is the challenge."
- Read All About It: Sun-Times Experiments With Bitcoin Paywall on Saturday - WSJ MoneyBeat Blog - "For the entire day, readers will be able to buy access to the site, or just access to individual stories, via bitcoin."
- BLE vs. NFC: The future of mobile consumer engagement now - Mobile Payments Today - "BLE and NFC each have several use cases, but they're not the same sort of use cases."
- MasterCard Chip Card Commentary on CNBC - MasterCard Blog - "In an op-ed published yesterday, Chris McWilton, President of North American Markets, shared his thoughts on the importance of moving from pointing fingers to accelerating the implementation of solutions that deliver a convenient and safe buying experience for consumers."
- Bitcoin’s Fate Is in the Hands of Clueless Regulators - Wired - "The problem is our financial regulators don’t understand bitcoin well enough to regulate it."
- Major League Baseball Rolling Out Thousands of iBeacons for Opening Day - MacRumors - "The iBeacon deployment is one of the largest rollouts in the world, aside from Apple Retail's 254-store effort. MLB will be using iBeacons sourced from Qualcomm."
- New Celent Report: Top Trends in Retail Payments: A Year in Review - "This report presents the top 10 retail payments-related issues that Celent analysts dealt with in 2013 and expect to see develop in 2014."
- Lessons the #TargetBreach Taught Financial Institutions - Target - "Perhaps the best lessons issuers learned during the weeks following the Target breach was that, above all, cardholders want to feel safe and secure."
On the Wires:
- Thanks to Visa, Every Team USA Medal at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Can Mean More FlexPoints for New Cardmembers of the FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa® Card Issued by U.S. Bank - "In the spirit of the Olympic Winter Games and thanks to Visa, new cardmembers of the FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa card issued by U.S. Bank – who get approved during the promotion – can earn bonus FlexPoints based on the number of medals that Team USA takes home from the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Upcoming Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Feb 4-5 in Palo Alto, CA; March 18-19 in New York City.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews