On the Web:
- Amazon’s Ambition in Physical Retail May Go Way Beyond Payments - Re/code.net - "The goal is to make this new collection of tools and services as critical to brick-and-mortar shops as its Amazon Web Services offering has become to online businesses."
- Apple introduces us to a Major Financial System Beyond iWallet - Patently Apple - "On January 30, 2014, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a major patent application from Apple that reveals a new financial Systems Integration System." Meeting the Needs of Non-Traditional Consumers and Achieving Scale with Mobile Contactless Payments in the U.S. - Federal Reserve Bank of Boston - Mobile Payments Industry Workgroup - "In November 2013, the Mobile Payments Industry Workgroup (MPIW) met with academia, government, non-profits, card networks, mobile wallet providers, transit authorities, issuing banks, and retailers to gain a better understanding of fundamental consumer mobile payment adoption issues by exploring how mobile financial services and payments can meet the needs of non-traditional consumers and what is needed to achieve scale in the U.S. mobile payments market. The findings in this paper are based on the discussions at this meeting and include panelists' views on mobile technology and financial access considerations for the underserved consumer, broader consumer market adoption for mobile retail payments, and the transformational role of mobile technology for financial services."
- Visa CEO Doesn’t See Bitcoin As Business Threat - CoinDesk - "Visa CEO Charlie Scharf offered his opinion of bitcoin and other emerging virtual currencies on 30th January in a conference call discussing Visa’s first-quarter fiscal earnings."
- Fred Wilson's 5 Predictions for the Future of Your Money - Inc. - "If you like the way Wilson makes bets with his venture-capital fund, Union Square Ventures, which has invested in Etsy, Tumblr, and Twitter, you might just like the way he thinks about the future of currencies."
- Why Bitcoin is here to stay - ZDNet - "...the drivers are simply too powerful - crypto-currency is around to stay and the changes to our global economy because of it will be staggering. So take a reality pill and strap in."
- Coinbase and Mint Announce First Bitcoin Personal Finance Integration - "This partnership marks a milestone in the ongoing evolution of bitcoin as Mint becomes the first personal finance and money management tool enabling users to view their bitcoin transactions."
- PayPal Wants Role In Apple’s Mobile Payments Dreams - Re/code.net - "Three payments industry executives tell Re/code that eBay-owned PayPal has been pitching Apple on helping the consumer electronics maker bring its long-rumored payments initiative to fruition."
- Ribbon Takes On Square Cash, PayPal & Others With A Peer-To-Peer Payments Service That Lets You Send Money For Free - TechCrunch - "The difference here, besides not yet being available in a native app format, is that Ribbon works with both debit and credit card users, and will allow you to send payments to others without first having a Ribbon account."
- Mobile Payments, Electric Cars and the Keys to Driving Change - Re/code.net - "The shared issues between e-cars and smartphone payments boil down to cost of hardware (the phone, the car), infrastructure (networks and merchant acceptance, filling stations), but perhaps most importantly, the catalyst for changing human behavior."
- GhIPSS Urges Banks to Issue Local Cards - Payments Afrika - "Ghana Interbank Payment and Settlement Systems (GhIPSS) has urged banks to issue more proprietary ‘local’ ATM cards to their customers. Historically most banks in Ghana would issue international cards..."
On the Wires:
- FinCen: Application of FinCEN’s Regulations to Virtual Currency Mining Operations
- Green Dot Reports Fourth Quarter 2013 Non-GAAP Revenue Growth of 5%, Forecasts Accelerated Growth in 2014 - "Despite perhaps the most challenging year in our company’s history, we’re pleased to have delivered our twelfth straight year of revenue growth."
- Heartland Payment Systems Files Federal Lawsuit Against Mercury Payment Systems, LLC - "The suit, filed in United States District Court in the Northern District of California, San Francisco Division, alleges that Mercury is illegally competing against Heartland with deceptive trade practices."
- University of Oxford spin-out to develop secure mobile payments - "Oxcept, set up by the University's technology transfer company Isis Innovation, is gearing up to provide a peer-to-peer payment app for mobile users."
- Adyen Mobile Payment Index Reveals Mobile Payments Climb To 19.5% Of Transactions Globally - "The Index shows mobile payments accounted for 19.5% of all transactions worldwide in December, a growth of 55% year-over-year, up from 12.6% the previous December."
- Mint Adds Bitcoin Transactions - "Mint, the leading personal finance app from Intuit, now lets users view their digital bitcoin transactions processed by Coinbase alongside their traditional financial accounts."
- Visa® Subscribes to SAP® Financial Services Network to Streamline Process for Corporations to Pay by Visa - "The new payment solution is expected to help corporations more easily automate and process their invoice payments without the need for significant investment in custom software, and is planned to be available summer 2014."
- Acculynk Launches Direct-to-Debit Business Payout Solution - "Acculynk’s Payzur direct-to-debit payment platform aids businesses, such as online marketplaces, that regularly make payments to individuals or small businesses by offering a frictionless “payout” process that doesn’t require account verification, enrollment with a third party or parking the funds in a third-party account."
- The FIDO Alliance Welcomes Global Security Leader RSA® to the Board of Directors - “RSA has taken a leading role in authentication since its inception. We join the FIDO Alliance as a Board Member to continue our leadership and join other industry leaders in developing authentication that delivers choice and interoperability with privacy to meet the needs of diverse user populations,” said Kayvan Alikhani, Senior Director of Technology, RSA."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Upcoming Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Feb 4-5 in Palo Alto, CA; March 18-19 in New York City.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews