On the Web:
- In Praise of Bitcoin, With Little Regard for Banks - New York Times Dealbook - "A hearing on the regulatory future of Bitcoin on Tuesday turned into a forum on the shortcomings of the traditional banking industry."
- U.S. Banks Prune More Branches - Wall St. Journal - "U.S. banks cut a net 1,487 branch locations last year, according to SNL Financial..."
- The Crowdfunding Site Indiegogo Raises $40 Million - New York Times Bits Blog - "On Tuesday, Indiegogo, a fund-raising site, announced that it raised $40 in a Series B round of venture financing — the kind meant to speed growth — from IVP and Kleiner Perkins."
- YC Alum GoCardless Raises Another $7M, Aims To Be The Stripe Of Direct Debit Payments - "In a world where much payment processing is run over credit card-based networks, GoCardless has created a simple, API-based solution that bypasses that for all businesses that center around recurring payments."
- CEO Tim Cook Says Touch ID Was Part Of Apple’s Thinking Around Mobile Payments - TechCrunch - "Apple CEO Tim Cook actually discussed mobile payments directly on the company’s earnings call today..."
- What Is the “Irreducible Core” of Bitcoin? - Richard Gendal Brown - "And so it concerns me deeply that there is no good, simple, accurate and comprehensive explanation of Bitcoin that helps people understand what makes it so unique."
- Bitcoin Tuesday - AVC (Fred Wilson) - "There are at least three Bitcoin events that I know of in NYC today. I do not think any of them are public events but the fact that there are three in a single day is interesting to me."
- Four steps you can take if you think your credit or debit card data was hacked - CFPB Blog - "Keep a close eye on your account activity and report suspicious transactions immediately to your bank or credit card provider. The sooner you tell your provider about any unauthorized debits or charges, the better off you’ll be."
- Onyx Payments Renews Malmaison, Adds Hotel Du Vin for Global Hotel Payment Processing Services - "Onyx Payments’ hotel payment processing service, coupled with comprehensive web-based customer service and reporting, allows hotels to implement commission processes that enhance and support their distribution strategies that will drive more business to their hotels."
On the Wires:
- Bitcoin vs. Electronic Money: Digital But Different - "A new CGAP report released today compares the main differences between Bitcoin and electronic money (e-money). The report shows that Bitcoin as a virtual currency is markedly different from e-money and cautions regulators and policy makers not to confuse the two."
- Clinkle Names PayPal’s Mike Liberatore As Chief Financial Officer - "Liberatore joins the company from PayPal, where he served as senior director of large enterprise finance and the North America financial planning and analysis (FP&A) group."
- Bluetooth® Smart Technology Unveiled as the Magic Behind Beacons - "Bluetooth Smart brings three essential features to the beacon experience: an intelligent wireless connection that can authenticate and manage interactions; an extremely power-efficient connection that doesn’t drain the user’s phone battery; and ubiquitous support from phone manufacturers and mobile operating systems."
- FIS Continues its Leadership Role in U.S. EMV Smart Card Transition - “Smart card technology is the way of the future; it’s vital in mitigating card-present fraud; it offers greater spending convenience to people traveling overseas, where EMV already is standard; and it allows the U.S. to move to more secure processing of card transactions,” said Bob Woodbury, SVP and General Manager, FIS Payments Networks.
- GTCR Closes $3.85 Billion Buyout Fund - "Target investments will continue to focus on companies across high-growth sectors, including Financial Services & Technology, Healthcare and Information Services & Technology."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews