On the Web:
- Amid EMV Travails, X9 Convenes a Meeting to Investigate Standards for Debit Routing - Digital Transactions - "Some 40-plus representatives of payments organizations tackled the vexed question of debit- transaction routing within the existing EMV standard..."
- Theft at Target Leads Citi to Replace Debit Cards - New York Times - "The bank did not replace the debit cards sooner because it wanted to minimize disruptions during the holiday shopping season..."
- Can you live without credit cards? - Reuters - "For most Americans, living without credit and debit cards seems inconceivable. But Brie Hoffman has tried it, and mostly succeeded over the past six years."
- Wall Street Sees Bitcoin’s Legacy as Payment System: Currencies - Bloomberg BusinessWeek - “Bitcoin, in essence, is just an evolution of a payment system..."
- Square, Receipts & the Experience Design - Om Malik - "It only reinforces the point of experience design ideology at Jack’s company — where others see a piece of paper, Square sees an opportunity to create an emotional bond between the buyer and seller."
- After A Pivot, WePay Raises $15M To Focus On Payments API For Marketplaces, Crowdfunding Sites And Others - TechCrunch - "As founder and CEO Bill Clerico tells us, now WePay’s entire business is its payments API, which focuses specifically around on infrastructure needed for payments for platform businesses."
- Banks That Market to U.S. Military Are Among Top Collectors of Fees - Wall St. Journal - "Some financial institutions serving the military have reined in overdraft fees, he says, while others are engaged in "predatory or punitive overdraft practices.""
- Citi Global Head: NFC Will Win Out By End of 2014 - StreetFight - "In addition to the growth of EMV in the U.S., Char also believes that a technical change to the newest version of the Android operating system — the only OS that currently supports NFC – will help push the technology forward in 2014."
- Apple Patent Reveals Secure iWallet System with iBeacon - Patently Apple - "On January 16, 2014, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that reveals a secure iWallet system that goes beyond NFC to include new Air Interfaces including a form of Bluetooth, such as iBeacon."
On the Wires:
- Adyen Processed $14 Billion in Payment Transactions in 2013, Achieving 40% Growth Over Last Year - "Adyen’s customer activity helped generate an impressive 43% increase in revenue over last year, continuing a trend of double-digit revenue growth since 2007."
- WorldPay and Delego integrate to combine SAP enterprise systems with online payments - "The Delego / WorldPay integration combines SAP enterprise systems with online payments."
- Circle Internet Financial Adds New Executives to Leadership Team - "M. Michele Burns, who has served on boards at Goldman Sachs, Wal-Mart Stores, Cisco Systems and Orbitz, and was chief financial officer of Delta Air Lines, chief financial officer of Marsh & McLennan, and chairman and chief executive officer of Mercer, will join Circle’s board of directors."
- TSYS Announces Consumer-Driven Account Controls - "According to the recent TSYS 2013 Consumer Payment Choice Study, more than half of consumers stated they would be “Interested” in using their phone to temporarily allow or block transactions on their card."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews