On the web:
- Will Samsung Outdo Apple's Touch ID with a Retina Scanner? - Patently Apple - "This biometric technology is nearly impossible to crack by any imposters."
- Riding high - Economist - "...two banks vie for the title of the world’s biggest by market capitalisation. One is Wells Fargo, a San Francisco-based institution; the other is China’s state-owned ICBC."
- I Just Used Square Cash To Pay A Contractor $500 - Forbes.com (Joshua Steimle) - "I’d have to say I trust Jack Dorsey to protect my wealth quite a bit more than I trust my bank."
- Recent announcements place NFC payments on life support - Mobile Payments Today (Joseph Frisz) - "NFC will most likely soon be a forgotten experiment in mobile payments and only exist in certain niches where there is a clear value addition to use the technology."
- The Bitcoin Tipping Point - Nextrends - "The promise of no middleman, fee-free transactions could make a difference to millions of people around the world..."
- Mobile Commerce Ignition: Death March Or Sprint? - Pymnts.com (Karen Webster) - "We’re starting to see glimmers of a retail reinvention powered by connected devices, applications, data and the cloud take shape."
- Pay for groceries with bitcoin via eGifter’s new Walmart giftcard - CoinDesk - "The company uses Coinbase to process transactions and does not charge any extra fees or markups to pay with bitcoin."
On the wires:
- Made in IBM Labs: Two-Factor Security for Mobile Transactions - "The technology provides an extra layer of security when using an NFC-enabled device and a contactless smartcard to conduct mobile transactions..."
- Efma and Accenture Announce Winners of Global Banking Distribution and Marketing Innovation Awards - "To drive profitability, banks need to transform their business models and innovate to engage with their customers based on what these customers need and not on what banks have to sell."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join us for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on October 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer". Elizabeth will also be speaking on New Payments Regulation in Brazil at the International Money Transmitter Conference in Miami 4-7, 2013.
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews