On the web:
- Cashless trend is redefining money, and a central bank's role as printer - South China Morning Post - "The traditional world of central bank control of money is being challenged by the arrival of bitcoin and mobile payments."
- The Future Marriage of Virtual Currency and Mobile Payments in Canada - Bank Systems & Technology - "And if that model is successful in Canada and the Royal Mint decides to export its MintChip technology, then maybe virtual currency could gain popularity in other countries as well."
- Phones Are the New Banks: Mobile Payments in Africa and Beyond - TechWeez - "At the heart of M-Pesa’s success has been efficiency and security. Removing the need to travel to a bank – or even the need to log into online banking – has made the process of transferring funds far easier and faster."
- Solving the Mystery Around the New Facebook-PayPal Partnership - AllThingsD - "PayPal has conducted its own research into whether shoppers want to mix their social identity with payment info, according to PayPal president David Marcus, and concluded that there isn’t much interest in such a combination."
- Why is Apple not solving the mobile payments problem? - BillingViews - "One of the more compelling use cases would be facilitating the payment process at point of sale. Touching your thumb to the iPhone home button would be easier and less cumbersome then validation through password or PIN."
- 10 Reasons Mobile Payments Still Haven't Caught On - Business News Daily - "Convincing people that new technology is worth their time and effort might ultimately be the toughest nut to crack for mobile payment purveyors."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews