The latest data from Bank of America shows branch activity has declined 11% this year; ATM, online and mobile has increased 5%.— Bradley Leimer (@leimer) December 16, 2013
On the Web:
- The Bitcoin Ideology - New York Times - "You know you’re talking to a true bitcoin believer if you hear the word “disruption.”
- Donate to Nonprofits Through Facebook - Facebook - "When people click "Donate Now" they can choose the amount, enter their payment information, and immediately donate to that cause."
- Facebook Rolls Out Donate Button, And Keeps Your Payment Information - ReadWrite - "...transactions will require a credit card, payment information that Facebook will keep on file..."
- 2014 Top 10 Retail Banking Trends and Predictions - Bank Marketing Strategy (Jim Marous) - "All of the contributors did concur, however, that a guaranteed prediction for 2014 is that disruption will continue at an unprecedented pace and that the industry will look different this time next year."
- Wells Fargo makes push into mobile payments with Isis partnership - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Beyond making a payment, this technology enables other services we think our customers will enjoy, like the ability to use the Isis wallet for coupons and loyalty or rewards program information..."
- Life in the cash economy for “underbanked” Americans - PBS NewsHour - "Our customers are really what's called low balance, high volume customers, and banks don't-- aren't very cost-effective at serving that population."
- China’s Statement on Bitcoin is Open to Interpretation - CoinDesk - "The only explicit ban in the document pertains to the engagement of financial institutions and payment companies in bitcoin-related businesses."
- La Caixa claims Europe's largest NFC payments system - Telecompaper - "Thanks to the support of the three operators, which together account for 80 percent of the Spanish market, the bank estimates that the number of m-payment users will exceed 100,000 over the course of the next year."
On the Wires:
- TMG issues White Paper exploring biometric authentication in payments - "Authored by TMG Senior Fraud Prevention Analyst Nicole Reyes, the paper highlights the influence of biometrics in other industries and explores whether or not consumers are ready for biometrics in their everyday exchange of money."
- Retailers Disappointed By Approval Of ‘Deeply Flawed’ Credit Card Swipe Fee Settlement - "We are very disappointed that this deeply flawed settlement has been approved. It is not supported by the retail industry and would do nothing to reduce swipe fees or keep them from rising in the future."
- New Citi Survey Shows That More Americans Say They Are Increasing – and Fewer Decreasing – Holiday Spending in 2013 - "Only 35 percent said they would be spending less than last year, reflecting the lowest level of holiday budget cutbacks since the financial crisis."
- CashStar Introduces First-of-its-Kind eGifting Experience with the Launch of Tactile Unwrapping - "These new capabilities make digital gifting even more personalized and engaging by replicating the gift unwrapping experience in the digital medium. The module can be configured to allow purchasers to select wrapping paper, add a hand-written message, and virtually wrap the gift."
- First Data Announces Offering of $500 Million of Senior Subordinated Notes - "First Data intends to use the proceeds from the offering, together with cash on hand, to redeem a portion of its outstanding 11.25% senior subordinated notes due 2016 and to pay related fees and expenses."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews