On the web:
- Coinbase - Chris Dixon - "The press tends to portray Bitcoin as either a speculative bubble or a scheme for supporting criminal activity. In Silicon Valley, by contrast, Bitcoin is generally viewed as a profound technological breakthrough."
- Fidelity now allows clients to put bitcoins in IRAs - MarketWatch - "Fidelity has partnered with SecondMarket’s Bitcoin Investment Trust to allow its clients to save for their retirement by putting the virtual currency in self-directed IRAs."
- Mobile Payments Specialist Loop Raises $10 Million in Series A - NetBanker - "But the company's technology breakthrough: the ability to project a short-term magnetic field that impersonates the action of swiping a mag stripe through a card reader, appears likely to deliver on the contactless promise of NFC without the hardware adoption headaches of NFC."
- The Future of SWIFT: a meeting with Gottfried Leibbrandt - Financial Services Club Blog - "In a stimulating but short presentation, he began by discussing the key elements of change in the SWIFT model, one of which is the ability to pretty much process anything for virtually nothing."
- EAC partners adopt seamless pay system - The East African - "Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda central banks have interconnected their payment systems offering traders and bank customers an alternative method of sending and receiving money."
- Bitcoin Law: Compliance and Avoidance Strategies - CoinDesk - "In this multi-part series, I will give a basic primer on the state of US law as it applies to digital currency entrepreneurs."
- Bitcoin Foundation Officially Launches International Chapters - CoinDesk - "The Bitcoin Foundation has officially rolled out its internationalization programme, signing national affiliates in Canada and Australia..."
On the wires:
- Leading Identity Theft Protection Company LifeLock Acquires Mobile Wallet Innovator Lemon, Inc. - "LifeLock ... today announced the acquisition of mobile wallet innovator Lemon for approximately $42.6 million in cash."
- Loop Oversubscribes $10M Angel Round - "Loop’s patented invention transforms existing mag stripe readers at every point of sale terminal today, into contactless payment receivers with no change required by the merchant."
- Tim Hortons Announces Quickpay Tim Card on Your Smart Phone - "Tim Hortons has partnered with First Data Corporation, a global leader in payment processing and e-commerce solutions, to deliver tap and scan payments through their mobile gateway technology. First Data makes it possible for registered Tim Card users to securely make mobile payments and view their Tim Card balance and transaction history."
- The FIDO Alliance Announces Microsoft Joins Board of Directors, Demonstrating Solidarity With the Global Community - "Microsoft is committed to working with the FIDO Alliance to produce open standards that will ensure interoperability among strong authentication methods and technologies."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: [email protected] or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421. In addition to tracking the daily news of the payments world here on Payments News, we can provide you and your organization with custom monthly and quarterly market scans - contact me to learn more about this unique service.
- Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews