On the web:
- Bluetooth® 4.0 payments comes to the forecourt - C-Store Advisor - "When we deployed BLE as an alternative to QR codes and passive NFC at a local café it became a referendum on those technologies, as customers could chose what to pay with. The result wasn’t even close."
- Visualizing Bitcoin's Amazingly Fast Spread Around The World - Fast Company - "Bitcoin, the global digital cryptocurrency that isn’t tied to any central banking authority, has spread like wildfire around the world."
- Discovering creative ideas in San Francisco – CapitalOne 360 Cafe - Ricardo Sanchez - "I have never thought that a bank such as Capital One would do something this creative and out of the norm, but they are..."
- Bluetooth Low Energy, Beacons and Retail – A New VeriFone White Paper - VeriFone Blog - "In the article, Vlugt discussed Bluetooth Low Energy, an existing technology that is now being promoted as a way to very specifically track mobile devices–and their owners–within retail locations."
- Mobile privacy debate moves in-store as retailers mull Wi-Fi investments - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Concern over how best to protect their customers’ privacy is one of the stumbling blocks holding retailers back from wider adoption of in-store mobile services leveraging Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology."
- Consumer Behavior: Has American Express Given Up On Mobile Payments? - Colin Shaw - "It appears as if American Express is tired of waiting for the mobile payment craze to kick off and is taking the matter into it’s own cards, and in this case awards points."
- What Can Retailers Do to Prevent Credit Card Fraud? - StorefrontBacktalk - "Card-not-present (CNP) fraud is the biggest challenge by far, accounting for 47 percent of all credit card fraud."
On the wires:
- Federal Reserve Board proposes rule to strengthen liquidity positions of large financial institutions - "The proposal would for the first time create a standardized minimum liquidity requirement for large and internationally active banking organizations and systemically important, non-bank financial companies designated by the Financial Stability Oversight Council."
- Proposed Establishment of an Australian Payments Council and User Consultation Group - "The Reserve Bank and the Australian Payments Clearing Association (APCA) are initiating a joint consultation on a proposal to establish a new payments industry coordination body, the Australian Payments Council."
- ECB publishes second SEPA migration report - "The European Central Bank (ECB) has today published its second report on migration to the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), analysing the state of play in euro area countries in creating a single market for credit transfers and direct debits in euro across Europe. The report also provides guidance on managing the transition process."
- Oberthur Technologies’ PEARL embedded secure element is chosen by Xiaomi for its newly released Mi3 smartphone - "Through this partnership with Xiaomi, Oberthur Technologies supports the new mobile payment ecosystem in China” said Cédric Collomb, Managing Director of the Telecom Business Unit at Oberthur Technologies.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking on New Payments Regulation in Brazil at the International Money Transmitter Conference in Miami Nov 4-7, 2013.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews