A free & fast way to send money, with just a simple email (or an app): http://t.co/2Xpy0HDlSR— Jack Dorsey (@jack) October 16, 2013
On the web:
- Visa CMO Kevin Burke on What Trends in Commerce Mean for Marketing - Ad Age - Video
- M-Pesa expert calls time on 'Banking the Unbanked' mantra - Mobile World Live - "My mission is to replace cash for everyone, not just those badged as unbanked..." said Tim Harrabin
- The Money Is in the Email - AllThingsD (Walt Mossberg) - "Square Cash is the quickest, simplest method I’ve seen for sending money from one person to another."
- How Square Cash Could Put Money In The Company's Bank Account - ReadWrite (Owen Thomas) - "It's smart for Square to offer this product, which is increasingly part of a complete digital-wallet solution."
- Square Cash is a Head Fake - Drop Labs (Cherian Abraham) - "Defaulting to debit for every transaction ... enables Square to keep costs low for itself, and indirectly for its merchants."
- Square Cash: How does Square Cash work technically? - Quora (Brian Roemmele) - "From a technical perspective there are two active parts to the process: the consumer facing side and the backend processes."
- Hidden Gems, Part 1: P2P Money Transfer with PayPal - "This need is driving incredible number of our transactions - our p2p is hugely successful."
- Making people want wallets - Tomorrow's Transactions Blog (Jane Adams) - "While banks came out clearly as the most trusted issuer, ahead of Google, major retailers ... and phone operators, an overwhelming majority of respondents at 64% said that they would never use mobile wallets."
- Mobile payments: Endless hype despite precious little uptake - GigaOm Pro - "As I’ve written before, far too many competing solutions and technologies are shackling growth, so the industry must consolidate dramatically and get behind just one or two solutions."
- Authentication – A Core Battle for Monetizing Mobile - FinVentures (Tom Noyes) - "What problems could authentication (via mobile) “solve”?"
- A Is For Commerce - Pymnts.com (Karen Webster) - "She’s a small town Indiana girl from modest roots who found success by doing one thing really well - connecting with the consumer and cracking the code on how to secure their loyalty."
- Bitcoin: the solution to startups’ international banking issues? - CoinDesk - "By utilizing bitcoin on the site, users can quickly buy and sell digital goods. Plus, the digital currency has allowed this company to operate despite difficult-to-navigate international banking laws."
On the wires:
- Tantrum Street Introduces Revolutionary Mobile Payment App, Skip Wallet™ - "The cloud-based app allows consumers to safely load credit, debit and gift card information, as well as rewards card details, onto one platform, creating a “digital wallet” that makes the purchase, return, and budget-tracking process quick and efficient."
- Capital One and General Motors Introduce New Automotive Rewards Card - "This new card delivers tremendous value and rich automotive rewards by offering consumers 5 percent Earnings on their first $5,000 worth of net card purchases annually and an unlimited 2 percent on all other purchases."
- "Western Union Launches My WU Prepaid Card Jointly with Lottomatica (GTECH S.p.A) and MasterCard in Italy - "Lottomatica, the brand through which GTECH S.p.A operates in Italy, is one of the most trusted and well-known brands in Italy, is the first company in Europe to join the Western Union® Global Share platform."
- Oberthur Technologies Joins MasterCard Mobile Money Partnership Program - "Through its MoreMagic Mobile Money offer, Oberthur Technologies enables a full suite of banking, payment and commerce services in areas where there is a lack of banking infrastructure."
- GE Capital Retail Bank and JCPenney Extend Private Label and Dual Card Credit Program - "The JCPenney consumer card program, branded with the classic JCPenney logo, provides credit to millions of consumers with a range of benefits that provide value, convenience and security..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join us for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on October 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer". Elizabeth will also be speaking on New Payments Regulation in Brazil at the International Money Transmitter Conference in Miami 4-7, 2013.
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews