On the web:
- Alibaba, American Express Investing $206 Million in ShopRunner - Bloomberg - "Alibaba and American Express recognize ShopRunner as a disruptive model which will have a significant role in the U.S. e-commerce market..."
- In-Store Tracking Isn’t Going Anywhere: Nomi Close to Landing Around $10 Million Series B Investment - AllThingsD - "Accel Partners is expected to be a new investor in the round. The new infusion of cash is expected to be around $10 million, one source said."
- The Case for Staying Confident about NFC - PayBefore.com - "NFC will prove to be important for Apple because it’s a universal standard communications technology that works with all operating systems, and will enable Apple products to connect to the rest of the world’s mobile devices."
- The Wallet Is Dead: Mobile Payments And Peer-to-Peer Cash Flow - Business2Community - "While these companies have certainly made it easier to split dinner with a friend, the idea of using an app to send money doesn’t feel that flashy when compared to some of the other futuristic technologies coming to mobile phones."
- Dwolla shuts doors to bitcoin companies and virtual currency exchanges- CoinDesk - "Dwolla has announced it can no longer work with virtual currency exchanges and other bitcoin-related services."
On the wires:
- Gartner Identifies the Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2014 - "Mr. Cearley said that the Nexus of Forces, the convergence of four powerful forces: social, mobile, cloud and information, continues to drive change and create new opportunities, creating demand for advanced programmable infrastructure that can execute at web-scale."
- Government to overhaul UK payments system - "Today, the government has announced the creation of a new, utilities-style regulator charged with increasing competition in the payments sector. The government is determined to empower smaller firms to challenge the big banks to deliver real benefits for each and every user of financial services."
- WFP Launches E-Cards for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon with MasterCard’s Support
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join us for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on October 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews