On the web:
- How a Debt-Ceiling Crisis Could Become a Financial Crisis - New York Times Economix Blog - "Economists widely agree that such an unprecedented event would have profound effects for the markets, likely precipitating a stock-market sell-off and setting off a round of global financial turbulence."
- Securing All the Links in the Chain: Third-Party Payment Processors - Portals and Rails Blog - "Bank risk mitigation includes taking steps at the time of onboarding new processors as well as on an ongoing basis to monitor for any problems related to changes in those relationships."
- Walmart app users spend 40pc more than average shopper - Mobile Commerce Daily - "“We found, most importantly, those who have our app are making twice as many trips to Walmart, and their spend is 40 percent more,” said Wanda Young..."
- Bitcoin’s role in the future of micropayments - "Small transactions are a wave of the future, but it is going to ultimately require the cooperation of payment processors in order for it to gain traction."
- Could Bitcoin kill Fed monetary policy? - Moneyness - "While bitcoin could one day kill most of the roles that the Fed plays, monetary policy will probably stay intact."
- Reconsidering Credit Cards - TMG Blog - "Although a number of community financial institutions (FIs) moved away from offering credit cards during the financial crisis, many are taking a closer look at getting back into the business of credit cards."
- Forget fingerprints: Your iris is your new identity - Computerworld - "Iris recognition finally seems ready to break into the mainstream."
On the wires:
- Equifax and iovation Work Together to Create a World-Class Fraud Prevention Portfolio - "Equifax will combine its Identity and Fraud Solutions Identity Proofing and Progressive Authentication that support verifying and authenticating identities with iovation's ReputationManager 360 that helps prevent real-time fraud by leveraging shared device reputation intelligence."
- Blackbaud Chooses ROAM to Enable Nonprofit Clients to Accept Card Payments Via Mobile Device - "Blackbaud MobilePay™ enables Blackbaud’s nonprofit clients to accept credit and debit card payments via smartphone or tablets at an event or in the field."
- Fifth Third Bank Enhances Mobile Check Deposit for Businesses - "The maximum amount a customer can deposit varies based on how long the customer has had an eligible, open business deposit account with Fifth Third and if the account is in good standing."
- ACI Worldwide Provides Fresh Approach to Lowering Paper Bill Postage and Printing Expenses - "This offering equips these billers to deliver electronic bills and invoices across multiple channels—from mobile to web to call center—with far fewer technology resources."
- Stanford Offers New Online Course on Financing Innovation: Valuing Projects and Firms - “This course is designed to make you think like an investor and use this knowledge to drive your business,” said Stanford Graduate School of Business finance professor Peter DeMarzo..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews