On the web:
- Why We've Agreed to Acquire Braintree - PayPal Forward (David Marcus) - "I admire Braintree because they were one of the very first companies to understand the power of real mobile-first experiences. I’m not talking about traditional e-commerce ported to your mobile device. I’m talking about groundbreaking experiences offered by companies like Airbnb, OpenTable, Uber, and TaskRabbit."
- Braintree Teaming Up with PayPal - Braintree Blog (Bill Ready) - "This is an exciting step for Braintree – not because we’ve hit a milestone but because we’re taking a bold step toward the future we want to build. We’re excited that David and the team at PayPal share that vision for the future and that we’re going to be working together to build it."
- PayPal Buys Braintree To Get A Foothold In App Payments - ReadWrite (Owen Thomas) - "Braintree is going to be the platform for developers. We're not going to change anything... we're going to use this new Braintree platform as the new outward-facing platform for developers."
- Behind eBay’s $800M buy: Braintree will replace PayPal’s developer platform - GigaOm - "PayPal has the technology and resources to offer every service Braintree delivers and more. It just doesn’t have the ability to deliver those as quickly and easily to developers."
- Why PayPal's Shopping Spree Isn't Over—How About Foursquare Next? - ReadWrite (Owen Thomas) - "But PayPal has another big battle in mobile payments ahead of it—and that's in signing up local stores to take PayPal, too."
- LevelUp reports raising $7.5M - Boston Business Journal - "LevelUp, the Boston maker of mobile payments and loyalty technology, has raised $7.5 million in new equity funding..."
- Winners and Losers on the Road to Financial Inclusion - CGAP - "The roadmaps caution that although winners will emerge, the opportunities can also easily be lost if those pursuing financial inclusion fail to recognize and respond to the unique character of the new market."
- Who is right? Winklevosses for, Peter Thiel against bitcoin - CoinDesk - "Thiel told a German audience recently that he believes bitcoin has a “20% chance of success”."
- Fund to Let Investors Bet on Price of Bitcoins - New York Times (Dealbook) - "The fund, the Bitcoin Investment Trust, aims to provide a reliable and easy way to bet on the future price of bitcoin, a currency generally traded on unregulated, online exchanges based overseas."
- App-based bank puts a social twist on finance - Springwise - "Russia’s Instabank is an entirely app-based bank that uses Facebook and Foursquare data to make money transfers and bill tracking easier."
- Clinkle becomes a tech celebrity magnet, landing Richard Branson as an investor - GigaOm - "Clinkle is creating a mobile wallet that requires no special hardware on the phone (i.e. no NFC chip) nor at the point-of-sale – just software."
- Meta Financial Group names new president - Argus Leader - "Sioux Falls-based Meta Financial Group Inc. has appointed Brad Hanson as president of the holding company and MetaBank."
- Mobile Payments Today releases State of the Industry report - "According to James Wester, founding editor of Mobile Payments Today and now an analyst for IDC Financial Insights, experts generally believe mobile payments are two to five years away from widespread adoption."
On the wires:
- WorldPay US Announces Purchase of Century Payments - “The acquisition of Century Payments is a vital milestone in our continued US growth strategy,” said Tony Catalfano, CEO of WorldPay US.
- Parallax Capital Partners and StepStone Group buy IdenTrust - "IdenTrust’s experience and expertise in providing identity management for many of the world’s largest banks, its role as a major identity provider to the US Federal and State Governments, and its growing emergence as an identity solution for the corporate sector make it the perfect company for us to invest in."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews