On the web:
- The future of Square: IPOs, Starbucks, and China - PandoDaily - “We don’t see ourselves building a payments company,” Dorsey says. “We see ourselves building a commerce company, and payments is just one tiny little part of that.”
- Online retailers adopt mobile-first approach as smartphone shopping grows - Mobile Commerce Daily - "It’s only a matter of time before mobile browsers become the dominant shopping platforms for ecommerce sites..."
- Facebook Mobile Payments: Experiment Or Game Changer? - Business2Community - "Users who trust Mark Zuckerberg with their payment info could easily streamline purchases by connecting their bank account to their pre-existing Facebook account."
- Juniper: Mobile money moves beyond M-PESA's shadow - "As a rule of thumb, service providers need a ratio of one agent per 500 registered customers to maintain high levels of active users."
- Life on Bitcoin couple pays for hotel and flights in bitcoin - CoinDesk - "The company is using BitPay to process bitcoin payments from its customers, but Amon said he doesn’t like the 0.99% it charges. “So in the long run I am thinking of not using any payment provider."
On the wires:
- MoneyGram to Acquire Money Transfer Businesses in Greece - "By acquiring the company, we will now be able to continue to expand the network directly in partnership with our agents who serve our consumers every day."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews