On the web:
- Goldman, Nike, Visa added to Dow; BofA, Alcoa, HP out - Reuters - "The index manager said the changes were prompted by the low stock price of the three companies slated for removal and a desire to diversify the make-up of the index."
- Visa to threaten IBM as most influential Dow stock - MarketWatch The Tell Blog - "The three new additions will push down the weightings of the remaining 27 stocks in the Dow."
- How Wi-Fi Direct Works As A Gateway To The Internet Of Things - ReadWrite - "Wi-Fi Direct is an emerging wireless standard that allows you to create a create a connection between any two devices without going through a wireless router."
- If the New iPhone Has Fingerprint Authentication, Can It Be Hacked? - Wired (Bruce Schneier) - "Apple would be smart to add biometric technology to the iPhone. Fingerprint authentication is a good balance between convenience and security for a mobile device."
- Secret Ingredients to Building Airbnb’s International Payments Platform - Airbnb Nerds Blog - "Each month Airbnb collects payment in 32 currencies and remits payment in 65 currencies in 192 countries. Building and improving the global pipes that collect and distribute money are daily challenges for payments engineering at Airbnb."
- Who Do You Trust? - FinVentures (Tom Noyes) - "I believe MNOs are best placed for the Trust role because of their physical distribution channels and knowledge of consumer."
- What do influential people think about bitcoin?
- How PayPal Can Succeed Where Google Wallet Failed - Forbes (Denée Carrington) - "Does the new PayPal mobile digital wallet have the winning formula for success in driving consumer and merchant adoption at scale?"
- Mobile payments gorillas are already out there - Financial Services Club Blog - "Maybe we will get a few players like Braintree, iZettle, Stripe, mPowa and Klarna breaking through in this space but, more likely, the Apple’s, Google’s, Facebook’s and PayPal’s will be the gorillas in this space."
- Are payments infrastructures fit for purpose? - Financial Services Club Blog - Take the survey!
- Scan And Pay Innovation Set To Help SME's BusinessReport - "Zapper allows businesses to add unique QR Codes to invoices, whether they delivered in electronic or paper format. When a customer gets a Zapper QR Code on their bill, they just open the app, scan the QR Code and confirm the amount to be paid."
On the wires:
- ZooZ Introduces New Offering to “Transform Online Checkout” - "The combination between Zooz's innovative technology and First Data’s industry-leading merchant services enables the two companies to offer extremely high value and very competitive fees, thus making it easy for merchants of all sizes to enjoy an optimized, “commerce everywhere” solution."
- New Research from Aite Group and Chase Blueprint® Shows Simpler Finances Linked to Financial Health - "Consumers who borrow from multiple sources find their financial lives to be complex, but those who use tools to help them manage their spending and borrowing make progress in simplifying their finances."
- Russell Simmons and Prepaid Visa® RushCard Launch #RiseToThrive Crowdfunding Campaign to Help Build Prosperity in American Neighborhoods - "The crowdfunding challenge will raise money and awareness for non-profits dedicated to building prosperous futures for people in American neighborhoods RushCard serves."
- Fidelity Introduces Mobile Check Deposit Technology for Financial Advisors and Family Office Professionals - "Mobile check deposit -- a wildly popular consumer app -- was a ‘given’ to adapt for our ‘anywhere advisors’ and family office professionals, allowing them to spend less time processing checks and more time engaging with their clients."
- Chase Celebrates Entrepreneurs with New Campaign - "Chase ... today launched Mission Main Street, a multi-media advertising and lending campaign that features success stories from a business owner’s perspective."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews