On the web:
- GE Set to Exit Retail Lending - Wall St. Journal - "The company's consumer finance business provides store credit cards and financing for 55 million Americans at retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Gap Inc.'s Banana Republic."
- The Only Place People Shop Online Is Amazon - The Atlantic Wire - "The Internet retailer sells more stuff online than its 12 biggest competitors combined, all of which move an incredibly tiny amount of stuff through their online storefronts..."
- Free Checking Remains Commonplace, But Not Quite As Common As in the Past - Digital Transactions - "It does demonstrate that free checking is still available; it’s not as widely available as it once was..."
- Ex-Googler Gives the World a Better Bitcoin - Wired - "The result wasn’t a Bitcoin killer. But it was something that gave digital currency yet another stamp of approval."
- Bitcoin-friendly Internet Credit Union suddenly dumps accounts, citing 'regulatory issues' - The Verge - "IAFCU's decision to cut off Bitcoin will make it even harder for those businesses to operate in the US."
- Tradehill halts bitcoin trading due to IAFCU “operational and regulatory issues” - CoinDesk - "Tradehill's founder and CEO has confirmed the bitcoin exchange platform has suspended trading..."
- New Bitcoin casinos have driven online gambling growth since Satoshi Dice was acquired - Lightspeed Venture Partners - "This means that overall, online gambling with Bitcoin has continued to grow since June in dollar-denominated terms."
- Rocky Road is still one of my favorite flavors - Internet Archive Credit Union Blog - "Our credit union has worked within the evolving regulatory environment, which has not always been easy. This is a long not a short road and sometimes with detours. Until we have further clarity, we are unable to service some of our corporate members."
On the wires:
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews