On the web:
- PayPal 'check in' app lets you pay with your face on the UK high street - Wired UK - "All customers need to do is check in on the app by dropping a pin on a retailer. Their name and picture will then be passed to the shop, restaurant or bar in question and once they have agreed the amount to be paid, the cashier can charge them by clicking on the image."
- Groupon: Mobile driving close to half of North American transactions - Feirce Mobile Content - "Close to half of the company's North American transactions are now completed on mobile devices, increasing from 30 percent in June 2012."
- For mobile payments, women use Starbucks app, college kids use Venmo (chart) - GigaOm - "Onavo Insights gathered data about payment app use in the U.S. from several million iOS and Android users of the company’s mobile data utility apps."
- Not Banks, but Still Lending Money and Drawing Investors - New York Times - "One of the hottest areas is the market for personal loans, which is attracting money from venture capital investors, spurred by the fast growth of the largest online platform, Lending Club, and the paper profits for its early backers."
- Still not a wallet, NFC has a second life as a safe, simple pairing tool - "The technology gained some awareness as the wireless radio behind Google Wallet in 2011 but is seeing more success in the market as a simple way to wirelessly connect two devices."
On the wires:
- Visa Europe appoints new CEO - "Visa Europe today announced the appointment of Nicolas Huss as its next President and CEO. Huss (48) will join Visa Europe from Apollo Group, where he is Chief Executive, Avant Spain and Ireland, on 1 October."
- Verifi's CDRN Service to Eliminate Chargebacks, Now Available Via Web-Based Portal to Simplify Merchant Adoption - "Initially launched in 2007, the CDRN service has been a huge success as an API based integrated offering, connecting merchants with issuers to eliminate as much as 30% of their customer disputes before they become chargebacks."
- USA Technologies Launches ePortGO, a One-Stop Solution for the $11 Billion Taxi and For-Hire Vehicle Market - "ePortGO is an integrated system that enables credit/debit card fare payment, trip management, recordkeeping, vehicle dispatching, navigation, and other features all in one easy and cost-effective solution."
- Prepaid Visa® RushCard Debuts New TV Commercials Featuring Appearances by Co-Founder Russell Simmons - "The last 10 years have seen the prepaid industry evolve from a niche alternative to a mainstream financial option and we’re proud to have been a leader in this evolution..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews