On the web:
- Zero Worship: Credit-Card Firms Compete With No-Interest Transfers - Wall St. Journal - "U.S. credit-card companies, hungry for new customers as many Americans continue to shun debt, are pumping up a popular promotion that can be risky for both lenders and consumers."
- Inside the Bitcoin advocates’ closed-door meeting with federal regulators - Washington Post (The Switch) - "Despite their initial skepticism, regulators seemed more interested in learning than in confrontation, according to attendees."
- Regulator Fincen: Virtual Currencies Must Adhere to U.S. Financial Rules - Wall St. Journal - "The Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or Fincen, hosted the Bitcoin Foundation and other regulators and law enforcement officials..."
- Are Money Transmitters Risking Licenses By Partnering With Virtual Currency Operators? - MSB Talk - "It is yet to be seen if surety bond carriers will take action against traditional money transmitters that partner with virtual currency operators..."
- Microsoft account transition to local currency - "As part of the recent Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points are being retired, and transactions on Xbox 360 are taking place using your local currency instead of Microsoft Points..."
- Design Fail: Why Isn’t There A Standard Way To Swipe A Credit Card? - Fast Company Design - "Has the credit-card industry ever tried to standardize its iconography?"
- From Starbucks to Startup: The Path of Mobile Payments' Pioneers - PaymentsSource - "CardFree's goal is to improve monthly, weekly or daily spending habits by consumers..."
- Mobile Commerce Sales Top $10 Billion in First Half of 2013, comScore Estimates - AllThingsD - "Commerce purchases made on mobile phones accounted for $6.7 billion, while those on tablets totaled $3.9 billion."
- Mobile Marketing Summit New York Sept. 12: GE, American Eagle, Citi, Gilt, Time, Ogilvy, Cabela’s, InterContinental - "This day-long New York event is a must-attend for brands, retailers, ad agencies and publishers looking to map out an effective mobile marketing and commerce strategy..."
On the wires:
- MicroBiz Wins 2013 RetailNow Innovative Solutions Award for its iPad POS/ Magento POS Software - "MicroBiz is a cloud-based POS/retail management software application which allows multi-store, multi-channel retailers to manage offline and online operations from a single application."
- Banco Santander Partnership Takes iZettle to Brazil - "Starting today, individuals and small businesses all around Brazil can take card payments with their Apple and Android smartphones and tablets by signing up at www.izettle.com.br ..."
- Raja Rajamannar Named MasterCard Chief Marketing Officer - "Earlier, Rajamannar was at Citigroup for 15 years holding a number of roles, including Global Chief Marketing Officer, Cards and Payments, where he was responsible for transforming the credit card business model and strategies."
- Amazon Launches Mobile Associates API and Expands In-App Purchasing to Millions of Physical Products on Amazon.com for Kindle Fire and the Amazon Appstore - "When using the new API, developers earn up to 6% on qualifying in-app customer purchases while providing customers an opportunity to easily buy and receive goods through Amazon’s secure 1-Click purchase experience and Amazon Prime shipping, where available."
- TSYS Releases White Paper on Leveraging Big Data to Improve Cardholder Retention - "The paper analyses the wealth of information available to card issuers, and suggests that they look to further utilise data to improve cardholder retention."
- Cash-Based Consumers Now Have a Better Way to Pay Bills via Mobile and Online - "PreCash today announced the launch of Evolve Money, the first online and mobile app that makes it easy for consumers to track and quickly pay more than 10,000 bills without needing a bank account, credit, debit or prepaid card."
- Tablet Banking Taking Off Among Fiserv Bank and Credit Union Clients - "According to the 2012 Consumer Trends Survey from Fiserv, nearly half of tablet owners have already used their device to access banking services, and almost two-thirds of future tablet owners would like to do so."
- McAfee Report Examines Challenges Retailers Face to Secure In Store Payment Systems - "According to the report, without adequate controls to manage store systems and the increase in number and variety of devices – retailers can expect security costs to continue to increase rapidly."
- MasterCard Incorporated to Host Investment Community Meeting - "MasterCard Incorporated today announced that it will host an investment community meeting on September 11, 2013."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews