On the web:
- Mobile payment: what will it really look like? - The Telegraph - "Meanwhile, payments are vanishing into apps, and that’s gaining ground. Mobile payments are taking off, just not in the way that people thought."
- The Debt Collection Company that Helps You Get a Job - HBR Blog - "We've got to do more than hope they hear about a job, let's help them find one."
- Bitcoin now 'unit of account' in Germany - Guardian - "Germany's ministry of finance has formally recognised the digital currency Bitcoin as a "unit of account" which can be used for private transactions..."
- PayPal under attack.. Not just Facebook… - FinVentures (Tom Noyes) - "The strategic threat for Paypal is that the nature of competition is changing as advertisers and channels couple payments with other services (social, community, advertising, …) to deliver a better COMMERCE experience through insight into customer data."
On the wires:
- Cardlytics Granted Key Patent on Core Offer Systems - "U.S. Patent # 8,515,810 enables Cardlytics to create targeted marketing based on consumer purchase behavior, and place advertising through online banking portals."
- Mercury Collaborating with PayPal to Bring the Next Generation of Payments to Main Street - "Through this collaboration, Mercury’s network of more than 500 point-of-sale developers will be provided a toolkit to enhance their POS system to accept PayPal’s in-store payments."
- Ten Million SASSA MasterCard Cards Issued to South African Social Grant Beneficiaries - "MasterCard and the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) today announced that there are 10 million active SASSA Debit MasterCard cards in South Africa, following the introduction of the new biometric grant payment disbursement system that commenced in March 2012."
- ROAM’s Chip & Sign Mobile Card Reader Among the First to Earn Visa Ready Certification - "Now merchants can leverage EMV as part of its mobile point of sale solution and benefit from lower processing fees and better security. "
- Sterling Bank Launches Mobile Banking Solutions - "By bringing banking to our customers’ mobile devices, we can be where they want us, when they want us."
- IDC Financial Insights Appoints Seasoned Industry Executive Jerry Silva to Head Global Retail Banking Practice - "We are confident that the addition of Jerry to our team will greatly help us maintain a strong pulse on global financial market activity, and the IT trends that most impact the business..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews