On the web:
- Facebook to Test Its Own PayPal Competitor in Bid to Simplify Mobile Purchases - AllThingsD - "The product, sources say, would allow any shopper who has previously provided Facebook with their credit card details to make purchases on partnering e-commerce mobile apps without entering billing information."
- Why Braintree isn’t feeling threatened by Facebook’s moves - PandoDaily - "As the smaller payments provider, but one of the largest of the upstarts, Braintree is playing this game well."
- Introducing Stripe UK - Stripe Blog - "Making online payments work better also means making them work everywhere. Today, we’re getting a little closer: we’re crossing the Atlantic and launching Stripe in the UK."
- Blazing New Trails In Financial Services (Or Why PerkStreet Failed) - Snarketing 2.0 - "The reality for financial start-ups is that while blazing a new trail through an uncharted forest, sometimes you run into a brick wall."
- Losers in Debit Interchange Ruling: Consumers and the Free Market - American Banker BankThink (John Buhrmaster) - "While the merchants have argued that consumers would benefit from lower retail prices, there is no evidence of price declines nearly two years after the fee-cap rule took effect."
- Stripe comes to Europe, starting in the U.K. — but serious competition awaits - GigaOm - "The company, which was founded in 2011, saw its product cloned a year ago by Berlin’s notorious Rocket Internet in the form of Paymill..."
On the wires:
- PCI Council Highlights Expected Changes to PCI DSS and PA-DSS - "Today the PCI Security Standards Council (PCI SSC) published PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA-DSS) 3.0 Change Highlights as a preview of the new version of the standards coming in November 2013."
- IBM to Acquire Trusteer to Help Companies Combat Financial Fraud and Advanced Security Threats - "Trusteer’s expertise and superior technology in enterprise endpoint defense and advanced malware prevention will help our clients across all industries address the constantly evolving threats they are facing..."
- VeriFone Launches Way2ride Mobile App for New York City Taxis - "Way2ride uses VeriFone’s patented Zoosh sound-based technology to check passengers into their ride, allowing for secure transmission of payment information through the cloud."
- Virgin Atlantic Puts the World in Travelers' Hands With New Virgin Atlantic World Elite MasterCard® Credit Card - "Virgin Atlantic and Bank of America today announced the long-term renewal of their co-brand partnership and the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic World Elite MasterCard® credit card."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews